Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No I want the Bronco to be what it is, drop the top, get it dirty, rinse it out...repeat.

However, I have always wondered why it is that global manufacturers will build models that are exclusive to one country but not available in another, i.e. Everest. I understand the NHSTA and CAFE regulations, but wouldn’t it make more sense than having to design, engineer and market fewer vehicles available in all markets and import/export as needed rather than have to design and support multiple vehicles for different markets?

All mfg’s do this, just curious why I can get a Toyota Tacoma in the US but not a Hi-Lux, or a Ford Ranger but not the Everest, etc, etc. The Everest looks great, higher ground clearance and very modifiable down under and we’d be very interested in a midsize SUV, (not that we wouldn’t have our Bronco for play as well). The Explorer does nothing for us, very street oriented with zero off-road capability.

I dunno, like I said, just wondering it would seem mfg’s could save a lot of time and money by limiting the number of models and shipping parts, assemblies or entire vehicles to any market in the world.
I think it has to do with tastes of buyers in different markets. Personally I don’t understand it either, I’d love access to all these different vehicles, but I have eclectic tastes.

Good example is the land cruiser. Toyota sold less than 4K a year in the US from I think 2011 to 2020, hence the reason they cancelled it in the States. But ROW markets absolutely love it and can’t get enough Land Cruiser. They still sell 79 and 80 series land cruisers along with the newer 200 series which have been largely unchanged for decades. Take Australia - because of their laws and the way their trails (or “tracks” as they call them) are set up, land cruisers are pretty much the gold standard for off-road driving. They also mostly come with diesels, and gas motors are typically reserved for high performance variants.

A more sporty example is the RS6 Avant. It took years for Audi to bring that car to the US, because Americans tend to not like wagons. And even then, you won’t find their full lineup of wagons available in the US, just the performance variants. Europe, on the other hand, loves wagons.

Guessing that has something to do with why we don’t get the Everest.

Edit to add something on topic: I’d still buy if the roof wasn’t removable. If I had the option I’d still go with a removable roof just to have that available to me. I’m buying this vehicle for the chassis, drivetrain and running gear. If you look at the current competitors, you really have very few options right now.

Last edited:

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d probably just buy a base ranger and put 20 grand worth of off road goodies if I wanted a solid top.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I would entertain buying a full-size Bronco with a non-removable roof.

Don’t get me wrong, I am much more happy with a MIC top/removable roof, but you can get some pretty awesome sunroofs which can give the best of both worlds. I also don’t think the look would be too bad either. And the quality… Well, I won’t go down that path.

I think is also depends on where you live/what you’ll be using the vehicle for. In the North West, where we get a lot of heavy rain, it might make more sense vs. Some of you who are in California or somewhere hot all the time.

If someone can turn a hardtop FJ Cruiser into a convertible, I’m sure someone can convert a convertible Bronco into a permanent hardtop.

Ford Bronco Solid roof? F5167658-0EAF-44F5-90CD-1405C7E375FF

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd love a permanent roof.

There really isn't a single body on frame true 4x4 out there with a fixed roof other than the 4Runner, which is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I had a 77 CJ, and 85 CJ, a 93 Bronco. Never had any of the tops off.

Yamahamer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No.
Plenty of existing vehicles out there if you want a solid roof.
"I’m buying this vehicle for the chassis, drivetrain and running gear. If you look at the current competitors, you really have very few options right now."

Clip from RG7's post says it all.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know the Bronco is designed to be a competitor for the Jeep Wrangler, but would you have bought or buy one if they had offered one with a solid roof instead of the removable one?
Not interested. And there already are plenty of SUVs with fixed tops. Thank god finally, in the USA we have now two removable top 4x4s.

Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a '70 and '75 with solid steel one piece roofs. I took the '70 off a few times. 20+ bolts and nuts. It wasn't perfect. The side seams could rust, the rubber gasket on the windshield could leak, the rear window could rattle, with no liner it would get hot and sounded like a drum. The thing was really heavy. I would buy a new one with a solid one piece roof the could be removed. There would be less issues with it and would allow door windows with frames. Would probably be much quieter and allow more weight on the roof. Ford wanted a better roof than Wrangler, perhaps someday it will be. If I ever get a new Bronco it will have a white roof that I'll probably never remove. .

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd be interested, I seldom take the roof off the Jeep due to Heat, humidity or rain here in South Florida.

Some people assume I live in Florida so I would have the top off all the time, and maybe I would if worked outdoors or in a shop or warehouse, but I work in an office and showing up to work drenched in sweat or rain just isn't great.

I like the option and have a winch lift setup in the garage to remove my Jeep hardtop, but it comes off maybe 2x a year for 1-2 days.

OP
OP
RobCo

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't understand the bringing in of the Bronco Sport when talking about a solid roof. When I hear Bronco Sport I think of the old Bronco II, the baby Bronco. However, you all made your point and I was just curious.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand the bringing in of the Bronco Sport when talking about a solid roof. When I hear Bronco Sport I think of the old Bronco II, the baby Bronco. However, you all made your point and I was just curious.
I think some people are incapable of understanding different use cases. Not all of us are buying the Bronco for the same reason. A lot of folks are buying this thing with no intention of taking it off-road and just want a convertible. That's fine. I don't really care about the open air experience as much as I care about the Bronco being a beast off-road straight from the factory.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The whole spirit of a "Bronco" is the top off doors off open air experience...
Having actually owned a Bronco before, no, it wasn't. In all the years I have had vehicles that the roof was optional, it always had the roof on. Same goes for doors.

Just look at SxS. They come from the factory with no roof or doors (or at least they used to).
People add doors and roofs to them so regularly that they have become standard additions.

This feature is only marginally more useful than a fold down windshield.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jdc