Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow, got pretty toxic in here.

Just because one doesn't want to haul more than an ATV or boat doesn't mean that fits someone else. I personally would prefer the rating to be 5k similar to other vehicles with a similar size and use like the FJCruiser and 4Runner. I'm still buying it but will grumble a bit when I run into the weight limit. No I don't tow an ATV or a boat. Occasionally I pull a trailer with other things on it that can go up to 4K or a little over. I'll make due.

The 4-door Bronco is an off road vehicle, but being an off road vehicle doesn't mean that it is a one trick pony. I've had properly engineered off road capable vehicles that can tow and haul quite a bit of weight. It didn't take away from their ability on the trail.
Thank you for the refreshing pause and viewpoint. It's been a long 7 months of arguing with trolls-of-the-day and I should know better than to engage by now but it's a part of this truck that I feel passionate about so it's hard not to.
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here you go...keeps the removable top, has off road creds, and has hauling / towing capacity. Oh and is a Mercedes.

Ford Bronco Towing capacity Water 1

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My little 11’ (from hitch to rear mounted spare) offroad camper (aluminum built w/ galvanized frame) weighs in at 3,390lbs fully loaded.

Shouldn’t need a full-size or SD truck for towing.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would guess an sas. Bronco will be a slightly worse tow vehicle than a non-sas. Bronco. The sas. larger and heavier tires will make a Bronco accelerate, brake, and corner worse than a non-sas. Bronco when not towing, and will also make towing a bit more challenging. One of the reasons I'm not interested in the sas. package, also one of the reasons I'm waiting to hear owner's towing reports before I decide whether to buy a Bronco.
This is largely what the taller 4.7 final drive ratio accommodates for. Make as much of an informed decision as you deem necessary, nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All I have to say on this topic is that you'd think Ford would have one-upped Jeep at least a LITTLE on the tow capacity. Will watch and wait to see if an upgraded hitch does anything for y'alls 2021's.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All I have to say on this topic is that you'd think Ford would have one-upped Jeep at least a LITTLE on the tow capacity. Will watch and wait to see if an upgraded hitch does anything for y'alls 2021's.
I agree, they should have, and could have, made the 4D Bronco tow rating 5k. They could have upped the GVWR as well. Even though I don't plan on towing anything, I'd have paid the price increase premium for the added capability.

But, they didn't have to. I can only think of 3 new mid-size off road trucks available in the USA. Wrangler, G-Class, and soon the Bronco. Only 2 if you want a removable roof. I don't, but maybe it'll be neat for a bit.

Edit to add mid-size.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah I don’t need a huge capacity but it’d be nice to have the option to pull a little rented camper or something. Most of what I expect to pull would be small utility trailer for kayaks bikes, stuff that doesn’t fit inside, etc. It’s not a deal breaker for me.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My old Cayenne Turbo was rated to tow 7700lbs. Had low-range transfer case and locker center diff (4L), sway bar disconnect, and 'off-road' throttle and traction control cpu mapping. With 32" AT tires it was very good at forest roads and trails, but those are still roads. Off roads, it couldn't compete with my current G on 34's or my friends with Wrangler Rubicons on 35's.
I only towed with the Cayenne once, to bring my summer wheels to a shop to be reconditioned.
The 2010 G Class isn't available with a tow hitch (no room), but other years in the same generation are rated at 7000lbs.
I would not trade an increase of towing capability in the Bronco for a decrease in off road capability. Still, an option would have been nice. I wonder how many would take a $3k+ towing option (got to pay the engineers) over sasquatch?

Ford Bronco Towing capacity 1615224875731

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree, they should have, and could have, made the 4D Bronco tow rating 5k. They could have upped the GVWR as well. Even though I don't plan on towing anything, I'd have paid the price increase premium for the added capability.

But, they didn't have to. I can only think of 3 new mid-size off road trucks available in the USA. Wrangler, G-Class, and soon the Bronco. Only 2 if you want a removable roof. I don't, but maybe it'll be neat for a bit.

Edit to add mid-size.
Where does the jeep GC trailhawk fit into your list of off-road capable mid-size suvs with it being able to run the rubicon and Moab trails?

What about the 4runner and Discovery? Just like the GC, they don’t offer removable roof but neither does your G.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where does the jeep GC trailhawk fit into your list of off-road capable mid-size suvs with it being able to run the rubicon and Moab trails?

What about the 4runner and Discovery? Just like the GC, they don’t offer removable roof but neither does your G.
Didn't Jeep destroy their GC after taking across the Rubicon? I've watched vids of a crown vic running Moab trails.
The GC and new Discovery are unibody suv's, fairly capable, on par with my old Cayenne, but newer traction control.
None of the 3 you mentioned come with front lockers. The 4runner would be closer to the G, once you add a front locker.
All would require significant mods to accommodate 35's without breaking some part of the drive train.
Really, for new there is only the Wrangler Rubicon. It's easy to add 35's and 2.5" lift. The new G will handle 35's, but the aftermarket support for off road parts is limited. The previous solid axle G is easier. There's also the G 4x42 with 37's. The Bronco Warthog spy shots remind me of those. But I'm talking new vehicles here...
I'm hoping the Bronco will come close to the Wrangler. Ford offering 35's makes me hopeful, but I think it still needs another 2.5" lift over the Sasquatch package.

If I have to significantly modify a new truck to handle 35's and triple lockers, or if/when the Bronco doesn't live up to my expectations, I'm going to build a nice restomod IH Scout (or similar) with LS V8, leather interior, and stout drivetrain. Why deal with all the computers and regulations of a new car if you're going replace all the parts with heavy duty ones anyway?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
100% would and have done this. Ok haven't done a 120cc exactly, but done 80cc and have had 200cc minibikes and would for sure do a 120cc bicycle. And 100% recommend it. It's def something you should do, and if nobody ever did stuff exactly like this then we wouldn't have motorcycles today, they literally started as someone strapping an engine to a bicycle.
Maybe he meant 120ci engine. 😄

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, in the 2-door, they definitely three-upped (much more than one-upped) Jeep's pathetic 2,000 pound tow rating.

But it would have been golden if it was 4,500 and 5,000 for the 2- and 4-door.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Didn't Jeep destroy their GC after taking across the Rubicon? I've watched vids of a crown vic running Moab trails.
The GC and new Discovery are unibody suv's, fairly capable, on par with my old Cayenne, but newer traction control.
None of the 3 you mentioned come with front lockers. The 4runner would be closer to the G, once you add a front locker.
All would require significant mods to accommodate 35's without breaking some part of the drive train.
Really, for new there is only the Wrangler Rubicon. It's easy to add 35's and 2.5" lift. The new G will handle 35's, but the aftermarket support for off road parts is limited. The previous solid axle G is easier. There's also the G 4x42 with 37's. The Bronco Warthog spy shots remind me of those. But I'm talking new vehicles here...
I'm hoping the Bronco will come close to the Wrangler. Ford offering 35's makes me hopeful, but I think it still needs another 2.5" lift over the Sasquatch package.

If I have to significantly modify a new truck to handle 35's and triple lockers, or if/when the Bronco doesn't live up to my expectations, I'm going to build a nice restomod IH Scout (or similar) with LS V8, leather interior, and stout drivetrain. Why deal with all the computers and regulations of a new car if you're going replace all the parts with heavy duty ones anyway?

Don't forget the

Ford Bronco Towing capacity 1615231322235

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget the

Ford Bronco Towing capacity 1615231322235
I haven't forgotten. Stick to the forest service roads close to the repair shop and you should be fine.
Sponsored