Sponsored

What grade fuel to use ( normal, plus, premium )

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been running nothing but Premium, 91+ octane. Just finished a tank of 93 No Ethanol and saw almost 2MPG increase over my existing average. Same driving habits and roads. Got another tank of 93 No Ethanol to verify results and if it checks out that's all I'm running in the future.
It will be perfect when I bump the Ford Performance Tune.
Ethanol has less energy than gasoline, so you will see an MPG improvement on using pure gasoline vs. gas with ethanol added, even when the two have the same octane rating.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just use standard 87 octane from wherever it's the best price. There really isn't such a thing as "cheap gas" in CA, even the independent/local stations get the high quality stuff due to the regs here. I've run premium a few times to see if I noticed the extra power, but honestly I didn't.

Thetimmer

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco big bend,2012 ford focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I run regularly in my 2023 with the 2.3 and manual transmission but depending on price I'll fill.it up with the 89 ethanol free at the local wawa gas stations

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anything less than 104 octane from Sunoco is for peasants. I regularly order online and invoice to Hendrick Motorsports and so far they have been paying the bills. There is also a guy downtown that sells it by the trash bag when Sunoco can't come through.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been running nothing but Premium, 91+ octane. Just finished a tank of 93 No Ethanol and saw almost 2MPG increase over my existing average.
Not surprising. No ethanol fuel is higher energy per gallon. In the rare instances I can buy gas without 10% ethanol I see a 10% increase in mileage.

Only available in rural areas of my state. Anything in the "smog control" areas of Phoenix or Tuscon Metro has to be the E10 garbage.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read th' manual. Recommends premium, but it will run on regular. Chasing a diminishing reward by using reg. which costs less per gallon, and gets less mpg. It's all math.
Premium > mo powa, mo miles per g, mo smooth, cooler running, quieter - more efficient.
Reg < less efficient, requires timing to be pushed to the limit for a turbo engine for less powa, more heat, and rougher running.
Most will get 10-12% better mpg with 93. If you're only getting 12, it's hard to 'see' the difference at the pump.
I only run premium.
In my last Bronco I had a spreadsheet that tracked my mpg for every single tank of gas I put in it and compared it to what the dash claimed my mpg was (it was never accurate) and my observations were exactly opposite. I get better milage on 87 than on 93.

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2022 Wildtrak with 31K on it with the Ford Perf tune and all I have run since day 1 is 93 with no Ethanol. Not a single issue and I get roughly 15.6 MPG. It's not great I know but my foot knows that my wallet pays for the fuel.

Sponsored

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
On the gas door, it states 87 octane is needed. I've been back and forth between regular and premium to see if there's a difference.
Basically, I'm not really seeing a difference since I don't really drive the wheels off my Bronco (I use my 911 for that).
Also, I filled up yesterday with 87 and it ended up being $20 less than premium.

I personally only run Top Tier Gas in all of my cars. This applies to ALL grades of fuel for the retailer. This list changes so you need to check it on occasion. Many are staples that are on the list most of the time.
Others come and go. You can read more about it on their website. I've had zero issues with my cars engines over the years. Not saying this is the difference as I do regular maintenance, but this could take a variable out of the equation.
https://www.toptiergas.com/

BroncoFuji

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use all three. It runs best on premium. It still runs smooth on plus. And I can tell when it’s regular because it’s runs a little rough.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Timing is off. Premature combustion. But, if it's going away, sounds like the computer is taking care of that. If the knocking keeps coming back though, it will eventually become a problem. Try running 91 consistently, spark plugs, and regular oil changes might help. Check oil level every couple days before you start the vehicle, between oil change intervals.
Well it is back any time I start it.

And last two tanks have been 93 octane. Makes no different if 87 or 93 as far as this goes. My other Bronco doesn't seem to do as much but I've been noticing it doing it now too.

calx

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '98 Nissan Stagea
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've always used Premium.
Sponsored