First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I posted a new update in my original post.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for sharing that. Please let us know if you can get any post-mortem data from them.

Like what was the failure and how do I know this won't be a problem in the future?

Was it just a certain batch of engines?

If so, which ones? So you can verify that your new engine isn't in that range.

Good luck, I hope that you get the outcome you want!!!

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for sharing that. Please let us know if you can get any post-mortem data from them.

Like what was the failure and how do I know this won't be a problem in the future?

Was it just a certain batch of engines?

If so, which ones? So you can verify that your new engine isn't in that range.

Good luck, I hope that you get the outcome you want!!!
I tried getting some info from Ford Rep today. She knows nothing. Like Jon Snow. My service advisor will be calling me either tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll try to wrangle more information from him. That'd be some crap if they swap the old engine for a new engine that could be from a bad batch. GAHHHHHH.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I tried getting some info from Ford Rep today. She knows nothing. Like Jon Snow. My service advisor will be calling me either tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll try to wrangle more information from him. That'd be some crap if they swap the old engine for a new engine that could be from a bad batch. GAHHHHHH.
Yep, I am sure that they won't intentionally do it, but I would be pretty firm on knowing that they did their best to avoid that by providing some post-mortem information to satisfy that question.

Of course, they'll just tell you that you used too much wax.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would not do a buyback. Iā€™d get the thing running good enough to sell and Iā€™d let someone buy it.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I'm curious, if you allow the dealer to fix your Bronco and you retake possession of it, does it negate your buyback?

I never dug into these things to find out about the lemon laws, but if they fix it and you accept it seems like it could be a loophole, especially since you're going off the fact that it's taking too long and not off the clause that something had to be repeatedly fixed.

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update #2 (10/28/2021):

I called Ford this morning. I REALLY REALLY don't want them to buyback my Bronco, I'd like to swap for a new Bronco but is that even realistic? Then again, I'm not sure I want to keep this Bronco. I'm in Michigan and it should meet lemon law guidelines (30 days or more out of service). If they fix this Bronco, what does that do to the value?!

Anyone else have this experience?
I have been going through the same thing. And the answer to your question about a replacement is yes, that is an option under most lemon laws. I used a reservation I had to order a replacement. My Bronco (2.3 7-speed Badlands) has been down for four months. I have zero faith in the dealer's ability of intention to fix it. They know I have a replacement coming and have decided just to not mess with it. The replacement is scheduled to be built in the 11/8 build week. Mine does not have constraints though. If you were to order a replacement now, it may take a while to build since you have constraints (2.7 at least). But I totally understand the idea of not wanting a brand new 50+k vehicle that's been torn apart and put back together by the dealer. many people on here act like that's no big deal, but to each his own. If you're in lemon law space (and not just warranty claim), you are entitled to a replacement in most states. Just might take a while to get.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update #2 (10/28/2021):
So, good news all around. I got a phone call from my dealer saying that they somehow got the manifold in today (way sooner than expected) and I could potentially have my Bronco back by the weekend, if everything checks out. Awesome.

Andā€¦I just got a phone call from Ford customer service saying that my buyback has been approved. Iā€™m not sure what any of the offers are at this point. Itā€™s also worth noting, I asked if I am required to follow through with this process if approved and I was told no.
I just wanted CYA for all options.

Update:
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Bad news: my Bronco is still in the shop. Somehow the engine was lost in shipping for almost a month. The dealer received the engine last Wednesday. I got a call from the service manager yesterday saying they pulled the old engine, haven't put new engine in yet because they now need to order a manifold. Ughhh. I was also told that the manifold is on backorder, but will be released on Friday (in which dealer will call me Monday to find out how long it will take to get the manifold).

I called Ford this morning. I REALLY REALLY don't want them to buyback my Bronco, I'd like to swap for a new Bronco but is that even realistic? Then again, I'm not sure I want to keep this Bronco. I'm in Michigan and it should meet lemon law guidelines (30 days or more out of service). If they fix this Bronco, what does that do to the value?!

I'm just super frustrated right now. I'm paying for a vehicle I cannot drive, dealer doesn't have any loaner cars to spare....not to mention I'm super embarrassed by this huge failure in this vehicle. All my non-Ford friends are giving me crap about it.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I had an issue yesterday with my Badlands 2.7. Bought and picked up on July 21, weā€™ve put roughly 2400 miles on her (took an awesome trip up to High Rock at the very top of the Keweenaw Peninsula) and everything has been great so far. Yesterday, I noticed some loss of power in acceleration while driving, pulled over and put her in park. Turned off for about 5 minutes and then tried to restart, wouldnā€™t turn over.
Luckily, this happened about half a mile away from my dealer, so we just hooked a tow strap up and sadly limped her into their service bay.

The dealer called me this morning and said they got ahold of Ford last night. Somehow, somewhere the engine dropped a valve and that Ford is replacing the entire engineā€¦.

Anyone else have this experience?
Maybe I missed this but did they ever determine root cause? Was it the bad valve, blown turbo or something else?

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From your posts it Looks like Ford is staying mum on root cause. They just told dealer to send engine back for inspection? What a crock of sh&!, so not root cause given?

Sponsored

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lol... The mechanics at the dealer are probably going to do a better job than a factory assembly line. Not because of their skill, but simply because they are hand doing the entire process.

We've seen the quality that is coming off the Ford assembly line. Hell having a mechanic go through and check every connection and hose should raise the value :)

Maybe they'll even zip tie hoses away from harm.
Are those the same mechanics that are paid flat rate per task no matter how long the job takes?

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm curious, if you allow the dealer to fix your Bronco and you retake possession of it, does it negate your buyback?

I never dug into these things to find out about the lemon laws, but if they fix it and you accept it seems like it could be a loophole, especially since you're going off the fact that it's taking too long and not off the clause that something had to be repeatedly fixed.
Not sure the protocol. I'm guessing I get to keep the vehicle whether working or not until I accept/decline any of the buyback options. This isn't being done through an attorney at this point. Technically, this Bronco meets the qualification of being a lemon because it's been out of service for over 30 days. But this buyback through Ford is a goodwill gesture, not necessarily a strict lemon process.

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been going through the same thing. And the answer to your question about a replacement is yes, that is an option under most lemon laws. I used a reservation I had to order a replacement. My Bronco (2.3 7-speed Badlands) has been down for four months. I have zero faith in the dealer's ability of intention to fix it. They know I have a replacement coming and have decided just to not mess with it. The replacement is scheduled to be built in the 11/8 build week. Mine does not have constraints though. If you were to order a replacement now, it may take a while to build since you have constraints (2.7 at least). But I totally understand the idea of not wanting a brand new 50+k vehicle that's been torn apart and put back together by the dealer. many people on here act like that's no big deal, but to each his own. If you're in lemon law space (and not just warranty claim), you are entitled to a replacement in most states. Just might take a while to get.
Thanks for your response! That sucks that your dealer has washed their hands of your Bronco. I just got the call this morning from the dealer that my Bronco has been "fixed," but there is a part they are still waiting on (it's a trim piece on the A pillar that was warped). I can pick it up today. I'll be honest, I'm nervous as hell to drive it anywhere beyond a 5 mile radius. I'm sure my dealer did their best but I keep thinking, what's gonna go wrong next?!

I was told that my RAV claim has been approved, too. I'm supposed to be contacted about that next week.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m sending good vibes everyoneā€™s way that is about to take delivery or has already that they have no issues. I would like to think any broncos currently being built or engines being built wouldnā€™t have that issue.

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I missed this but did they ever determine root cause? Was it the bad valve, blown turbo or something else?
Dealer told me it was a dropped valve, but was told by Ford not to tear down the engine. I asked this morning if they had heard from Ford yet, as they told me that they shipped the engine back a few weeks ago. Service Advisor told me that Ford hasn't picked up the engine yet.....
Anyway, I asked if he had heard anything through the grapevine as to what is happening with these select few 2.7L engines dropping valves (I've read at least 8 stories of this happening). I know that this isn't a huge number by any means in the world of statistical significance. He told me that he wouldn't be surprised to hear that Ford puts out something soon about it.
Sponsored