Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It will be good when we have a better understanding of the issue going on.

Having said that, I have no issues jumping into a 2.7L in the Bronco. It is a proven engine in Ford vehicles including the F150. I did a quick search through a F150 forum and the highest mileage I saw was 465,000 miles at trade in. Quite a few have over 100k.

So by all accounts, it is a solid engine that only asks for reasonable maintenance.
Sponsored

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A replaced engine early in the ownership history will have 0 affect on value. Especially a vehicle like this. Most rational people will look at it and say “must have been a factory motor issue” and move along. I looked at a 392 challenger that had a replaced motor and 6k miles. I asked about the history and was told what happened and was perfectly happy buying it. Punting on a vehicle you waited a year for with no way to know when it’s getting replaced is insane.
Vehicles are designed to be assembled in a very specific order. In an assembly line, the chassis is married to the body. The engine is not dropped in with an engine hoist, as it will be with a swap. Of course people have been swapping engines for ages and there is a method, but it requires an extensive tear down of the front end. Pretending that they will disassemble and reassemble everything perfectly, not damaging anything in the process, is irrational.

Maybe there are some people who wouldn't care but I don't think those are the type of people who put down a reservation on a vehicle and wait this long. If I buy a brand new car, I expect it to be brand new and not have extensive rework which could have potentially broken something else or caused damage to body panels. I personally would raise hell until Ford found me a new vehicle that was dealer allocated. Ford can work it out with the dealer and pay them the ADM they would have charged.

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Vehicles are designed to be assembled in a very specific order. In an assembly line, the chassis is married to the body. The engine is not dropped in with an engine hoist, as it will be with a swap. Of course people have been swapping engines for ages and there is a method, but it requires an extensive tear down of the front end. Pretending that they will disassemble and reassemble everything perfectly, not damaging anything in the process, is irrational.

Maybe there are some people who wouldn't care but I don't think those are the type of people who put down a reservation on a vehicle and wait this long. If I buy a brand new car, I expect it to be brand new and not have extensive rework which could have potentially broken something else or caused damage to body panels. I personally would raise hell until Ford found me a new vehicle that was dealer allocated. Ford can work it out with the dealer and pay them the ADM they would have charged.
Yep, this is how I feel, thanks for putting it into words! When I called Ford to start the RAV process I said I want a new Bronco, not a refund, or a “like msrp” vehicle.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I buy a brand new car, I expect it to be brand new and not have extensive rework which could have potentially broken something else or caused damage to body panels.
look at the bright side....if Ford experiences another commodities kerfuffle in 5 years and they have to store 5,000 vehicles on dirt mountain...odds are 50 of those electric vehicles will spontaneously combust. Of course, by then the body panels will likely be plastic, so numerous other vehicles will melt as well. Nothing shouts 'new car' like a burnt plastic smell.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The question is how many engines do they build per day and are the engine numbers independent of the date. To me, it would not make sense that they went from number 120068 to 120249 in 20 days, that seems like too few engines. That would only be 9 engines per day.

We need some more numbers to determine whether or not the sequence number is incremental or daily.

It could also be that only 12XXXX is valid each day for the sequence number. However... being within 181 units of a failed unit wouldn't make me feel really confident that mine wasn't next to fail.
As

youbrealize you don’t even know if it was done “perfect” in the first place. Apple iPhones are only “dust and water resistant” because they can’t control assembly process enough to say the devices are “water and dust proof” vehicles at the dealer get taken apart and put back together everyday, it called warranty work and almost all of the time they are able to fix the issue. Sucks the op got a bum engine but walking away from a truck over it is irrational. Let them replace it. If it isn’t right lemon law it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As

youbrealize you don’t even know if it was done “perfect” in the first place. Apple iPhones are only “dust and water resistant” because they can’t control assembly process enough to say the devices are “water and dust proof” vehicles at the dealer get taken apart and put back together everyday, it called warranty work and almost all of the time they are able to fix the issue. Sucks the op got a bum engine but walking away from a truck over it is irrational. Let them replace it. If it isn’t right lemon law it.
It it already qualifies as a “lemon”…as it’s been out of service for over 30 days. That’s what I’m saying, I want Ford to swap for a new Bronco.
My options are: refund (where Ford repurchases vehicle and now vehicle has a branded title), replace with a new Bronco, replace with another Ford model (same msrp) or maybe Ford throws a good faith offer at me to keep existing Bronco.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As

I didn't say to walk away. Nor did I say anything is assembled perfectly from the factory. My point is that engineers design products to be assembled in a manner which minimizes defects and maximizes efficiency. Any rework, even when done at the factory, opens the door for additional mutiliation and new defects. If you had a choice of 2 new Broncos, one that had a replaced engine or one that had made it through the factory passing all QC checks without rework, which one are you going to pick?

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As

Are you interested in buying a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2.7 L, High Package, Area 51, Soft Top? Original engine had 2494 miles on it, new engine will have 0. Will be for sale maybe in month or two, or maybe three or four? Who knows, whenever dealership can get parts from Ford. $75,000 firm. Original msrp was $53925.

I’ll even throw in some toilet paper that I’ve been hoarding.
😝
I am kidding. But…if anyone is willing to buy, maybe I’m not! Lol

Last edited:

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are you interested in buying a 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2.7 L, High Package, Area 51, Soft Top? Original engine had 2494 miles on it, new engine will have 0. Will be for sale maybe in month or two, or maybe three or four? Who knows, whenever dealership can get parts from Ford. $75,000 firm. Original msrp was $53925.

I’ll even throw in some toilet paper that I’ve been hoarding.
😝
I am kidding. But…if anyone is willing to buy, maybe I’m not! Lol
Sounds like your smiling all the way to the Bank. 😊

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

And in the case I referred to with an engine swap in a 1999 Miata, that's a walk in the park compared to the Bronco. The Miata was practically designed to be an engine swapper's dream. The Bronco... not so much. So this is a valid point with regards to the complexity.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco... not so much.
in 1999 sensors & software didn't rule the roost. While engine swaps are theoretically possible today, it might be like heart replacement in a small town hospital.

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update:
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Bad news: my Bronco is still in the shop. Somehow the engine was lost in shipping for almost a month. The dealer received the engine last Wednesday. I got a call from the service manager yesterday saying they pulled the old engine, haven't put new engine in yet because they now need to order a manifold. Ughhh. I was also told that the manifold is on backorder, but will be released on Friday (in which dealer will call me Monday to find out how long it will take to get the manifold).

I called Ford this morning. I REALLY REALLY don't want them to buyback my Bronco, I'd like to swap for a new Bronco but is that even realistic? Then again, I'm not sure I want to keep this Bronco. I'm in Michigan and it should meet lemon law guidelines (30 days or more out of service). If they fix this Bronco, what does that do to the value?!

I'm just super frustrated right now. I'm paying for a vehicle I cannot drive, dealer doesn't have any loaner cars to spare....not to mention I'm super embarrassed by this huge failure in this vehicle. All my non-Ford friends are giving me crap about it.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I had an issue yesterday with my Badlands 2.7. Bought and picked up on July 21, we’ve put roughly 2400 miles on her (took an awesome trip up to High Rock at the very top of the Keweenaw Peninsula) and everything has been great so far. Yesterday, I noticed some loss of power in acceleration while driving, pulled over and put her in park. Turned off for about 5 minutes and then tried to restart, wouldn’t turn over.
Luckily, this happened about half a mile away from my dealer, so we just hooked a tow strap up and sadly limped her into their service bay.

The dealer called me this morning and said they got ahold of Ford last night. Somehow, somewhere the engine dropped a valve and that Ford is replacing the entire engine….

Anyone else have this experience?
My parents bought the RAM the first year that they came out with the V10 and that engine wiped the bearing within a month.
This is tough because getting a replacement will take forever. But think about where you will be in a year or two down the road. Keeping the Bronco after the engine replacement may give you years of pleasure and this entire event will be ancient history in the future. If you really think your Bronco is cursed, then sell it back under the condition that you can order a replacement at the same price.
Don't let you non-Ford friends get to you. It all in jest anyway. The Bronco rocks and they are just feeding on whatever negative information that they can get. Maybe instead of a new Bronco, get new friends. ;)

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Apple iPhones are only “dust and water resistant” because they can’t control assembly process enough to say the devices are “water and dust proof”

No, they are dust and water resistant because that is the test Apple uses to quantify the level of resistance. For most practical purposes, IP68 is dust-proof and waterproof.

My 2¢; I would get a replacement Bronco. No point spending $50k on a Badlands only to have a replacement engine that has been bumping around in the back of a cargo trailer for a couple months.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lol... The mechanics at the dealer are probably going to do a better job than a factory assembly line. Not because of their skill, but simply because they are hand doing the entire process.

We've seen the quality that is coming off the Ford assembly line. Hell having a mechanic go through and check every connection and hose should raise the value :)

Maybe they'll even zip tie hoses away from harm.
Sponsored