Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If this really seems like a safety issue, should OP put a note into NHTSA?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

I'm glad this particular incident happened without anyone being in peril, but I can imagine scenarios in which that wouldn't be the case. Losing power suddenly at highway speeds can be dangerous, especially in rush-hour traffic.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip .. any updates if OP engine does fall within an April build date?
It did not. Possibilities: I'm reading the dates incorrectly. The post about a bad run of valves in April engines is not accurate or is missing context. Some of these failures are not valves and are from a broken spring/bucket/keeper or other valve train failure. When these come apart, determining the causal is nearly impossible. My money's on broken spring and the most common failure we see in newer engines.

Not saying the info about bad valves is entirely incorrect but I can't see anything on my end from Ford so it's either not a thing or not a thing yet. I do know the head part number changed but it didn't say if there was a build date break or anything else.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Engine plant
2Drive type
3Vehicle line
4Engine displacement
5Engine part number
6Engine build date YYDDD (DDD=Julian Date [001-365])
Also, it might pull up this way in the computer:

EF06A21180120249 MB3E 6007 AA

Where 21180 is the 180th day of 2021 (29 Jun 2021).
If I had to hazard a guess, 120249 is the seq#,
EF06A is the code for the LIMA plant,
MB3E-6007-AA is the Bronco 2.7 engine part#.

The number above in the picture is a 2014 built on the 118th day or 28 April 2014.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just asked a guy on facebook that had a 2.7L drop a valve when his engine was built. It was actually produced after mine which isn't reassuring. Mine was July 29th and his was August 4th. So that debunks the "april-only" theory. Plus he said they would mainly be noisy and not just blow up, which is not what we've seen from the 5-6 failures so far.

Here's what flip sent me:

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Engine plant
2Drive type
3Vehicle line
4Engine displacement
5Engine part number
6Engine build date YYDDD (DDD=Julian Date [001-365])
darn... I thought I was out of the woods as a 8/16 build 8/6 blend

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But @Broncoshrimp said her Blend was 7/16 - looks close to others here -

2.7 built April could supply Bronco built June, July -
Also, it might pull up this way in the computer:

EF06A21180120249 MB3E 6007 AA

Where 21180 is the 180th day of 2021 (29 Jun 2021).
If I had to hazard a guess, 120249 is the seq#,
EF06A is the code for the LIMA plant,
MB3E-6007-AA is the Bronco 2.7 engine part#.

The number above in the picture is a 2014 built on the 118th day or 28 April 2014.
Here is my engine serial number:
Trace Eng Serial No EF06A21160120068 MB3E 6007 AA

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So....you don't have an "april" engine either. Mine was made 22 days after yours.

Can you summarize again any info you've gotten from Ford on the cause of this problem?

Thanks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The question is how many engines do they build per day and are the engine numbers independent of the date. To me, it would not make sense that they went from number 120068 to 120249 in 20 days, that seems like too few engines. That would only be 9 engines per day.

We need some more numbers to determine whether or not the sequence number is incremental or daily.

It could also be that only 12XXXX is valid each day for the sequence number. However... being within 181 units of a failed unit wouldn't make me feel really confident that mine wasn't next to fail.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t think this engine problem is as big as people are making it everything seems worse on a forum no ones going to
Post if there engine is ok you will only hear about the bad one and it hasent been many. I don’t care what brand you are buying anything has a chance of being a dud unfortunately

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's not the point, my question is, you are shopping for cars, Bronco A clean history, no issues or anything, Bronco B, the engine was replaced, priced the same, would you pay the same for both?

I won't, neither Carvana, Vroom, Shift, Carmax, AutoNation or anyone at auction, the OP is thinking of value, unless he intends to keep his car for at least 5-7 more years, he should get rid of it now and cut his loss.
A replaced engine early in the ownership history will have 0 affect on value. Especially a vehicle like this. Most rational people will look at it and say “must have been a factory motor issue” and move along. I looked at a 392 challenger that had a replaced motor and 6k miles. I asked about the history and was told what happened and was perfectly happy buying it. Punting on a vehicle you waited a year for with no way to know when it’s getting replaced is insane.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don’t think this engine problem is as big as people are making it everything seems worse on a forum no ones going to
Post if there engine is ok you will only hear about the bass one and it hasent been many. I don’t care what brand you are buying anything has a chance of being a dud unfortunately
It's not that I am suggesting that it's a big deal, far from it, but it does likely impact several hundred motors (which in the grand scheme of hundreds of thousands of motors is insignificant, unless it's your motor lol).

Let's say it's a bad batch of 1200 intake valves (not an unreasonable number), that's still anywhere from 100 motors to 1200 motors (each V6 has 12 intake valves). If all in one lot and all done sequentially (assuming the cylinder heads stay in order), it's likely 100-200 engines (either valves assigned to a particular block of 100 engines or valves installed in either 200 of the right or left cylinder heads).

We won't know unless Ford is more open and forthcoming with information or alternatively as motors begin to fail due to the problem.

By the way, this was around the time that layoffs at the LIMA plant were going on, so a limited number of motors produced around that time is not surprising, as the plant had 8 weeks of layoffs in April and May which impacted production. Also heads are likely produced separately from the complete engine assembly, meaning that the heads may have an earlier assembly date than the whole motor.

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So....you don't have an "april" engine either. Mine was made 22 days after yours.

Can you summarize again any info you've gotten from Ford on the cause of this problem?

Thanks
I've received absolutely no information from Ford, or my dealer regarding why this happened or what the cause was. My dealer told me initially that they were not to tear down the engine (per Ford) due to "low time in service," just ship the engine back to Ford for analysis.

I'm not even sure if they've sent the old engine back yet, the dealer just pulled it last week.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can understand why Ford would want to perform their own forensic teardown on an engine family that is not know to be problematic.

OP
OP
Broncoshrimp

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A replaced engine early in the ownership history will have 0 affect on value. Especially a vehicle like this. Most rational people will look at it and say “must have been a factory motor issue” and move along. I looked at a 392 challenger that had a replaced motor and 6k miles. I asked about the history and was told what happened and was perfectly happy buying it. Punting on a vehicle you waited a year for with no way to know when it’s getting replaced is insane.
I am truly glad that some people will overlook such an issue, but the response I've had from everyone I ask is pretty 50/50. And you're absolutely right, I don't want to let go of it after a waiting a year (actually in my mind I've been waiting since the 2015 Bronco concept was revealed 😛).
Sponsored