Karim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 MB W460 G-Wagen MT, 2008 BMW M3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2022 Badlands SAS, 7MT, Mid, MIC, Hitch; picked up in October (Current mileage:980, location: Cleveland, OH ), have an appointment with our Ford dealer on 2/6 for the grinding noise. Became noticeably louder this week (cooler sub 30 degree temps).
Sponsored

a_Panda

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2020 XC60, 1978 124 Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just dropped mine off for the rebuild. Parts are at the dealer already after I talked to them at the beginning of the month. First brought it up to them ar 1600 miles. 2200 now. Badlands non sas.

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another unsuccessful attempt at a resolution.

Screenshot_20230130-163640.png
Seems like at this point replacing the transmission has 0 chance of resolving the sound, and it seems like a solid chance we can count the same for the TSB.* edit for clarity.

With the failure rate of both it seems like the sound is probably effecting 100% of manual broncos.

Last edited:

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Seems like at this point replacing the transmission has 0 chance of resolving the sound, and the TSB seems like a solid bet.

With the failure rate of both it seems like the sound is probably effecting 100% of manual broncos.
The TSB is not proving anymore effective. They need to likely create a part change to solve this and the current TSB replaces with the same parts. I feel like this is going to get big.

Sponsored

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The TSB is not proving anymore effective. They need to likely create a part change to solve this and the current TSB replaces with the same parts. I feel like this is going to get big.
Agreed, lost my phrasing, wanted to say it seemed like a solid bet that TSB repairs were going that same route = ineffective.

rodskies

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1994 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Base
I called my local dealer and their next soonest appointment is MARCH 22nd.... wow. Called another dealer and they have no transmission capable people on staff.... Starting to get to dealers that are 45-60min away. Maybe Ford will have an actual fix for this issue by the time my original appointment comes up? LOL

My MT makes the rotational grinding noise in neutral, 1st and 2nd while driving, clutch in our out, whatever. Started noticing a few weeks ago with only 1800 miles on it. Now I'm up to 3200 and it's VERY obvious.

I think the spreadsheet is up to over 100 users reporting this same issue?

Do I sense a recall on the horizon?

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems like at this point replacing the transmission has 0 chance of resolving the sound, and the TSB seems like a solid bet.

Not a single doubt that this effects every single manual gearbox. Not everyone is hearing it. And to an extent, on a lot of them, if you hop in and turn on the radio and go about your day you would never hear it. There's almost zero chance that there are any gearboxes that are not affected.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not a single doubt that this effects every single manual gearbox. Not everyone is hearing it. And to an extent, on a lot of them, if you hop in and turn on the radio and go about your day you would never hear it. There's almost zero chance that there are any gearboxes that are not affected.
I agree, those who report no issue either just havent heard it, or has yet to make the noise

with a hit rate on here of 75% its highly unlikely there are many unaffected ones

I cant imagine the cost that is piling up associated with this, I am getting my second replacement transmission (and I honestly believe it will happen again). That has to be $20,000 right there from my Bronco alone...

Classic28

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, those who report no issue either just havent heard it, or has yet to make the noise

with a hit rate on here of 75% its highly unlikely there are many unaffected ones

I cant imagine the cost that is piling up associated with this, I am getting my second replacement transmission (and I honestly believe it will happen again). That has to be $20,000 right there from my Bronco alone...
There’s a saying in the boat ownership world that everything on the boat is broken, you just don’t know it yet. Lol

Sponsored

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It could also track that some % of broncos are in Southern Florida or outside the states and may never hear it.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.

Can easily hear it on my desktop speakers.

Noise is one thing but to see how burnt and metal scarred the parts get is what is troubling. That has to be bad long term.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This describes my current state perfectly.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Again based on what? I’m still waiting for someone on this forum who has had the TSB done (not just replacing the transmission which is not the TSB not not sure why it keeps getting brought up) come back and say the noise returned.
Sponsored