Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.

Great video documenting the sound. I can hear it loud and clear on my computer speakers. Does the noise go away when warm?
Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It could also track that some % of broncos are in Southern Florida or outside the states and may never hear it.
Agreed. Mine spends 95% of its parked life in a garage that stays above 60*F and doesn't make the noise on cold start, but the moment I park it outside overnight during winter, the noise presents itself.

a_Panda

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2020 XC60, 1978 124 Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Again based on what? I’m still waiting for someone on this forum who has had the TSB done (not just replacing the transmission which is not the TSB not not sure why it keeps getting brought up) come back and say the noise returned.
I'm super interested in anyone who has the TSB done. Mine went in last night. I'll happily keep an eye on it over the next 6 months once I get it back. Not super confident given that the part number hasn't changed but willing to let the tech do his job.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not a single doubt that this effects every single manual gearbox. Not everyone is hearing it. And to an extent, on a lot of them, if you hop in and turn on the radio and go about your day you would never hear it. There's almost zero chance that there are any gearboxes that are not affected.
I'm at almost 7k on mine and mine is quiet. You would think if something is going to friction weld itself in a tranny, it's going to be audible at some point soon in its life.

No issues here...

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can easily hear it on my desktop speakers.

Noise is one thing but to see how burnt and metal scarred the parts get is what is troubling. That has to be bad long term.
Good!! I can hear it on my MacBook Pro speakers too... so maybe my Windows laptop speakers are just garbage.

And has someone posted pictures of what the old synchro rings looked like after they were swapped?? I have been keeping up, but may have missed it.
Great video documenting the sound. I can hear it loud and clear on my computer speakers. Does the noise go away when warm?
Yup. The warmer the transmission get the less noise you hear. And in my case the noise will cut out and come back randomly as the transmission warms up.

When I recorded the video the engine was idling at 900 RPM, and it had already been through its usual 3-5 minutes of running at 1200 RPM to warm the engine up. By then the noise isn't as consistent, it'll randomly go away. You can kind of hear that in my video at the 0:09 timestamp—the noise just randomly went away for a few seconds even though I didn't move the shifter knob at all.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm at almost 7k on mine and mine is quiet. You would think if something is going to friction weld itself in a tranny, it's going to be audible at some point soon in its life.

No issues here...
Mine did not start until around the 8,000-mile mark and it is only audible at or below around 25 degrees. Same with a coworker. So, if we lived in a place where it doesn't get below 40, I would also be saying mine is not affected, even though it is in fact bad. Which reiterates my point that all units are probably bad, however many may never meet the environment for it to be apparent.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Again based on what? I’m still waiting for someone on this forum who has had the TSB done (not just replacing the transmission which is not the TSB not not sure why it keeps getting brought up) come back and say the noise returned.
I have screenshots of 2 people confirming TSB was performed and parts replaced from inside

Post in thread 'Is your 7MT manual transmission making grinding / scraping noise too? Video and all resources for rotational scraping noise in the 7MT's.' https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...scraping-noise-in-the-7mts.63324/post-1780233

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.

Yup, sounds as loud as mine. Interesting tho. Not sure I've investigated whether the 4x4 makes it louder? I did ask them to look at the my 4A. seemed noisy to me then the parts manager tried to tell me I can't use 4A on pavement that I probably burned up the transfer case to which I replied then why is sport mode in 4A? His response well that's okay.....? I know 4H and 4L you don't use on pavement. I assume from what I've read 4A on pavement is fine and they just were misinformed. Not that I'm always in 4A but rain I prefer it.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, sounds as loud as mine. Interesting tho. Not sure I've investigated whether the 4x4 makes it louder? I did ask them to look at the my 4A. seemed noisy to me then the parts manager tried to tell me I can't use 4A on pavement that I probably burned up the transfer case to which I replied then why is sport mode in 4A? His response well that's okay.....? I know 4H and 4L you don't use on pavement. I assume from what I've read 4A on pavement is fine and they just were misinformed. Not that I'm always in 4A but rain I prefer it.
Show him the Owners Manual. :ROFLMAO:

When you select four-wheel drive auto, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions.

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Show him the Owners Manual. :ROFLMAO:

When you select four-wheel drive auto, the system continuously varies power to the front wheels for optimum performance for all on-road conditions.
They had a Bronco too? 🤣

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My TSB service is on hold for additional parts, due to arrive today/tomorrow. Guess tech noticed other ring problems than just the 5th/6th. I've asked for pics, have yet to receive. Only 865 miles on the bronco.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine did not start until around the 8,000-mile mark and it is only audible at or below around 25 degrees. Same with a coworker. So, if we lived in a place where it doesn't get below 40, I would also be saying mine is not affected, even though it is in fact bad. Which reiterates my point that all units are probably bad, however many may never meet the environment for it to be apparent.
Well, it was -8 this morning where I live so tonight, I'll pull my Bronco out and leave it outside and start it in the morning and see if I have any noises...

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Starting to look like MT82 Deja Vu. Something that the MT88 redesign was supposed to help prevent. :sick:

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

wanted to share here

Link to this post

FROM ABOVE LINK

Had a side convo with another user. Good point brought up. If enough of us file safety complaint with NHTSA this would help hold FORD accountable to fix the issue. In previous MT model mishaps FORD simply walked away from the issue, stuck consumers with bad transmissions and then stopped producing them. I personally dem it as a safety concern in time and we can all argue that regardless if we currently don't experience perfomrance issues. Who wants to be on a 75mph freeway get locked out of their gears, putting anyone in the vehicle in harms way should you get stranded in the center of the freeway?

I will file today and adding this to main page.

🔎 🔎 🔎 File NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint/Concern🔎🔎🔎

SIDE CONVO
believe it would be a good idea for those that actually have the issue to file a complaint with the NHTSA. The noise may not be safety related now but could potentially turn into one later. I held off saying anything but then came across this article about the Mustang. Supposedly Getrag redesigned the Bronco transmission (MT88) taking into account the Mustang issues. After reading this though, it becomes painfully clear there will most likely be no fix so more documentation would be good to have.

First what they claim to have improved.

Getrag builds the all new 7-speed, which Ford calls the MT88. The good news is that it is a new design and not based on the Getrag MT82 six-speed that comes in the Mustang. Shifting has been improved over the six-speed by moving more of the driven gears to the input shaft rather than the output shaft, which reduces the synchronized mass during shifts.

Then about the Mustang issues.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/06/mustang-mt82-transmission-woes-lead-to-new-class-action-lawsuit/
Sponsored
Sponsored