First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reading about some of the history of the MT82 transmission it would appear viscosity of the fluid was part of the fix. Do we think Ford over compensated in the lessons learned?

curious if someone has tried different fluid grades to see if it helps. Not saying it’s a long term fix but curious if it was a factor at all.

BTW. 27 degrees this morning and it sounded like marbles were a rattling in the solo cup. Brand new…500miles on the transmission.
I replaced my fluid with Synchromesh II, it meets the specs ford has. It didn’t help at all. Afraid of going outside specs and voiding the warranty.
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading about some of the history of the MT82 transmission it would appear viscosity of the fluid was part of the fix. Do we think Ford over compensated in the lessons learned?

curious if someone has tried different fluid grades to see if it helps. Not saying it’s a long term fix but curious if it was a factor at all.

BTW. 27 degrees this morning and it sounded like marbles were a rattling in the solo cup. Brand new…500miles on the transmission.
I don’t think there’s much value in the “wrong fluid spec” discussion — these boxes, just like my Focus RS and another Getrag box I’ve owned, take your standard DCTF fluid. I’ll be using MOTUL Multi DCTF when it’s time to change it myself, and I doubt the fluid spec is the issue.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This really sucks for all of you and manual lovers in general. I like driving stick. I just wanted one auto, one manual for when I have to drive in awful traffic in the NY area.

When this happens it hurts the argument for making more vehicles for manual transmissions.

The MT82 is people being upset over it being notchy and clunky.

I remember when I first learned about the Bronco years ago, I asked why didn't they just use the MT82 in the Bronco, it's fine and got immediately piled on at a different forum.

Mine is 7 years old and clunks into 2nd just like the day I got it -- no issues. Totally satisfied with my MT82.

They should've just re-used it. It's clunky but proven.

Edit: Now the A/C evaporator in the Mustang on the other hand... that was an interesting and unfortunate journey.

red.radar

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford F250, 1978 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So in the effort to help others who don't have time to read 74 pages of discussion. I wanted to attempt to summarize what we know at this moment

• The issue can be easily created by cold soaking the vehicle in weather < 45 degrees and letting the vehicle warm up in neutral. You should hear noise. in mild cases the noise can disappear if clutch is pushed in. In more severe cases clutch position doesn't affect noise. You can make it temporarily go away by moving gear toward 6th gear, putting pressure on 6th gear, but not engaging. Letting the stick return to neutral returns the noise.
  • Some Owners have had the entire transmission replaced and the issue has reportedly returned. there are reports of some vehicles receiving multiple transmission swaps and the issue repeats.
  • Some Owners have had the TSB performed and we are beginning to get reports that the issue has returned
  • On vehicles where the issue was discovered quickly after purchase, people have tried topping the fluid off and that has no effect. One person even tried overfilling by backing the vehicle up an incline.
  • The current TSB has not introduced any part changes, but simply replaced damaged components. This suggests Ford has not found root cause yet but is trying to respond quickly to complaints.
  • No one has reported any drive-ability failures in the transmission, but we have seen evidence of 5th and 6th gear synchros showing scoring and excessive wear. Suggesting longevity is a concern.
  • Despite the TSB, some dealers are electing to replace the transmission. Its not clear if this is a convenience choice by the Dealer because its easier than rebuilding the transmission, or if Ford is getting more samples to continue the investigation.

Accurate report? Any misstatements? I know I feel like I am limbo and I hesitate to call the dealer because I don't see evidence that the problem has really been fixed.

Sponsored

Mattyfly42

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 door 2.3L MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So in the effort to help others who don't have time to read 74 pages of discussion. I wanted to attempt to summarize what we know at this moment

• The issue can be easily created by cold soaking the vehicle in weather < 45 degrees and letting the vehicle warm up in neutral. You should hear noise. in mild cases the noise can disappear if clutch is pushed in. In more severe cases clutch position doesn't affect noise. You can make it temporarily go away by moving gear toward 6th gear, putting pressure on 6th gear, but not engaging. Letting the stick return to neutral returns the noise.
  • Some Owners have had the entire transmission replaced and the issue has reportedly returned. there are reports of some vehicles receiving multiple transmission swaps and the issue repeats.
  • Some Owners have had the TSB performed and we are beginning to get reports that the issue has returned
  • On vehicles where the issue was discovered quickly after purchase, people have tried topping the fluid off and that has no effect. One person even tried overfilling by backing the vehicle up an incline.
  • The current TSB has not introduced any part changes, but simply replaced damaged components. This suggests Ford has not found root cause yet but is trying to respond quickly to complaints.
  • No one has reported any drive-ability failures in the transmission, but we have seen evidence of 5th and 6th gear synchros showing scoring and excessive wear. Suggesting longevity is a concern.
  • Despite the TSB, some dealers are electing to replace the transmission. Its not clear if this is a convenience choice by the Dealer because its easier than rebuilding the transmission, or if Ford is getting more samples to continue the investigation.

Accurate report? Any misstatements? I know I feel like I am limbo and I hesitate to call the dealer because I don't see evidence that the problem has really been fixed.
Agree. I have parts for the TSB on order. But if its going to come back might as well keep waiting and see how this thing plays out.

ozzz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
got text they received all the parts needed and are replacing the transmission and transfer case. will let you know if it fixes anything. they've had the bronco for nearly 2 months.

Emily

Big Bend
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good morning! If you'd like assistance with this noise concern, feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info at your earliest convenience.
o_O

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
got text they received all the parts needed and are replacing the transmission and transfer case. will let you know if it fixes anything. they've had the bronco for nearly 2 months.
Man, if I bought a brand new vehicle, and it was in the shop for 2 months, not only would I not be happy, but my wife would be furious and wondering why I bought it.

I'm big into not buying aggravation, and this situation sounds aggravating. :( Hope eventually there is a resolution that sticks.

I wonder is this a problem with all 7M transmissions, and some folks just don't realize it yet? Or only a smaller subset, but more publicized due to folks on 6G sharing the issue? Like what's the scope of this issue?

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have filled in my info on the spreadsheet but just to give a bit more information: I have 14K miles on the Bronco. Sound started at around 6-8K. It is not as loud as some of the posted videos but it is easily heard. It only happens when it is below 45-50 degrees and it does go away fairly quickly - like maybe 3 minutes of warming up.
took it to the dealer the first week of January (when North Texas had a nice warm spell). They could not replicate the sound. I told them it had to be below at least 50 degrees. I think the low temperature for the week they had the vehicle was 42 but the service advisor could not tell me if the tech tried listening for the sound in the morning. My feeling is that they did not.
anyway, I have my Bronco back and I am going to drive it until there is either a recall or it would go no more.

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Man, if I bought a brand new vehicle, and it was in the shop for 2 months, not only would I not be happy, but my wife would be furious and wondering why I bought it.

I'm big into not buying aggravation, and this situation sounds aggravating. :( Hope eventually there is a resolution that sticks.

I wonder is this a problem with all 7M transmissions, and some folks just don't realize it yet? Or only a smaller subset, but more publicized due to folks on 6G sharing the issue? Like what's the scope of this issue?
i also question how many don't realize it or ignore it since its happening almost immediately for many of us. Dont know how many people saw my video like thanks for posting, now i realize i have same issue.

Broncogirl66

Badlands
First Name
Gia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23" manual 2dr SAS, HPR 2" lift BDS suspenion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok now I am getting a bit nervous , Mine has 1600 miles was built Dec. 3rd. When I first get started I have to put the clutch all the way in for 1st and reverse . I never heard any noises .The bad news is mine quit running Sat. 2 hours away from home . I had it it towed to the nearest dealer ( this is how Ford roadside works). I contacted my dealership whom gave me a number to ford . Ford is having it towed to my dealership. Which I was told could take 7-10 days. As of right now I do not know anything but will keep everyone posted

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok now I am getting a bit nervous , Mine has 1600 miles was built Dec. 3rd. When I first get started I have to put the clutch all the way in for 1st and reverse . I never heard any noises .The bad news is mine quit running Sat. 2 hours away from home . I had it it towed to the nearest dealer ( this is how Ford roadside works). I contacted my dealership whom gave me a number to ford . Ford is having it towed to my dealership. Which I was told could take 7-10 days. As of right now I do not know anything but will keep everyone posted
Doesn't sound transmission related if the engine doesn't run at all. Likely a completely different issue. Let us know what they say either way!

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer told me they would have to open the transmission and confirm the problem before they could even order the parts, seems backwards. Either leaving a transmission torn down to get all sorts of crap in it, or reassembling to then have to tear it down again once the parts arrive.
My dealer talked with their transmission guy and confirmed they don’t have to open the trans just to order the parts. I did mention that nobody else is having to do this, but the service advisor was pretty adamant until he talked to his transition guy. Currently on the schedule for Feb 21. Depending on how many TSB’s have the issue return, I might just wait for an actual fix.
Sponsored