indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dropped off the bronco DEC 17. Received the bronco back last week with the Revision D part and by the next day the noise was persistent again.
Oh man. :( Come on Ford.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1682096029890

It's year 2023. With all the knowledge and tech, how hard is it to make a transmission without significant flaws? Or fix a grumbling syncro issue?

I've got decades old 4x4s with manual transmissions without grumbling noises that work fine. I've got a newer cheapo Kia Soul with manual transmission that doesn't grumble and works fine. What is going on at Ford?!
Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow, that sucks about the D-revision parts. Curious how this is all going to pan out...

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, that sucks about the D-revision parts. Curious how this is all going to pan out...
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But apparently Ford is not offering the manual trans for new orders, and Ford rep Mike Levine had tweeted something like "hopefully the manual will be back for next model year". And with three years into production, Ford still apparently can't get this right? The situation is kind of ridiculous, and I wonder how it will all play out. Will people end up with flawed unicorn manuals? And what does the out of warranty future hold for these transmissions and owners?

I prefer manual, but not a manual that makes grumbling noises, and that I'll have to be messing around with getting fixed. When Ford was telling everyone to drop certain constrained items, Ford should have clued us in about this transmission issue, and I would have ordered an automatic.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But apparently Ford is not offering the manual trans for new orders, and Ford rep Mike Levine had tweeted something like "hopefully the manual will be back for next model year". And with three years into production, Ford still apparently can't get this right? The situation is kind of ridiculous, and I wonder how it will all play out. Will people end up with flawed unicorn manuals? And what does the out of warranty future hold for these transmissions and owners?

I prefer manual, but not a manual that makes grumbling noises, and that I'll have to be messing around with getting fixed. When Ford was telling everyone to drop certain constrained items, Ford should have clued us in about this transmission issue, and I would have ordered an automatic.
Oof, bummer...

Hopefully there will be a "stage 2" type upgrade that the aftermarket can come up with for these units. They are absolutely great to drive on & off road otherwise.

ozzz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oof, bummer...

Hopefully there will be a "stage 2" type upgrade that the aftermarket can come up with for these units. They are absolutely great to drive on & off road otherwise.
We shouldn't have to rely on the aftermarket to fix a problem that Ford should be addressing directly. It stinks to buy a product with a known defective part that they simply aren't addressing. Bah humbug

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
We shouldn't have to rely on the aftermarket to fix a problem that Ford should be addressing directly. It stinks to buy a product with a known defective part that they simply aren't addressing. Bah humbug
Ford shouldn't sell a brand new vehicle already having a transmission issue. Have customers waste time on fixes that apparently don't work. And then be stuck using a divining rod and reading tea leaves to try and glean info about transmission suffixes and various part numbers. Will we next have an "E" ring, maybe eventually go through every letter in the alphabet? It's jumped the shark.

Beautalkz

Black Diamond
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ive wondered if the transmission is just a bad design. I doubt that Ford will bring back the manual transmission for this generation of Bronco. I could be wrong but I believe Levine would have simply respond "that's the plan" if they were planning on keeping the MT for 2024. With a problem that likely effects all mt broncos, it's probably easier to just produce the autos & pretend nothing ever happened. The addition of the Ranger makes the perfect scapegoat.
Hopefully I'm wrong and the D synchros fix everything. I don't want the MT to become the bargain rx8 bronco. Dilfman may have the first D failure....if in fact the service department truly gave him the D. Unless it's documented, I'd be worried that they installed C's.

Last edited:

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct. And to clarify, my Bronco remains with me while the dealership waits on the roll pin. They knew not to start the TSB until they had everything in pocket. They do have the D-rings already. Just waiting on the dang roll pin …

Be sure that the transmission tech doesnt break the plastic spacer clip. It is NOT part of the TSB, and if you break it, they say backorder is until May 15th. (My TSB was *started* Jan 4th.... my bronco is still there). Here is the retainer clip...

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1682104988385

Brok3nBronco

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jade Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

THIS!

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there a way to check what Revision of a transmission you have? I just got my 7MT 2door last week.
There's a white sticker label on the trans. If it has E on the end instead of A you have a new one.

Sponsored

Mod3lat6202ft

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well my bronco is on day 8 at the dealer for transmission replacement , with one ending in “A”. Oddly enough the bronco I ordered in early ‘22 has been scheduled to be built the week of June 5th. It’s an automatic. Now what to do with the manual transmission bronco…

Wolfpack

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5Spd, 2002 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Ive wondered if the transmission is just a bad design. I doubt that Ford will bring back the manual transmission for this generation of Bronco. I could be wrong but I believe Levine would have simply respond "that's the plan" if they were planning on keeping the MT for 2024. With a problem that likely effects all mt broncos, it's probably easier to just produce the autos & pretend nothing ever happened. The addition of the Ranger makes the perfect scapegoat.
Hopefully I'm wrong and the D synchros fix everything. I don't want the MT to become the bargain rx8 bronco. Dilfman may have the first D failure....if in fact the service department truly gave him the D. Unless it's documented, I'd be worried that they installed C's.
I'm wondering the same thing. Levine's comments, the Bronco manual transmission is balanced out for MY23, and the fact that the upcoming MY24 Mustang 2.3L(with port injection) isn't offered with the manual transmission leads me to believe the MT may not be back at least in its current form.

Beautalkz

Black Diamond
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering the same thing. Levine's comments, the Bronco manual transmission is balanced out for MY23, and the fact that the upcoming MY24 Mustang 2.3L(with port injection) isn't offered with the manual transmission leads me to believe the MT may not be back at least in its current form.
I didn't realize they weren't offering manual in the new 4cyl Mustang. I'd almost say that seals the deal on the fate of the MT Bronco. Does anyone know if the Euro Bronco will be offered with a MT?

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't realize they weren't offering manual in the new 4cyl Mustang. I'd almost say that seals the deal on the fate of the MT Bronco. Does anyone know if the Euro Bronco will be offered with a MT?
Good question. Europeans LOVE manual transmissions. I gotta say my 2008 BMW 320D was the only car I've owned that shifted better than my bronco. I miss the mpg and top speed of that little diesel.

Beautalkz

Black Diamond
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good question. Europeans LOVE manual transmissions. I gotta say my 2008 BMW 320D was the only car I've owned that shifted better than my bronco. I miss the mpg and top speed of that little diesel.
After a little research it looks like the Euro Bronco may come standard with the 10 speed automatic. Info on the Euro Bronco is still so limited but will likely have the option of either 2.0 & 3.0 diesel paired with the 10spd. The new generation EU Ranger is no longer offered with a manual. Same goes for Ford of Australia.
Sponsored

Last edited: