Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine went in to have the affected parts replaced on Monday. Originally the plan was drop the trans on Monday, replace parts and back in and done by Tuesday. Well it's not Thursday, I stopped by to ask how things were going and find the Bronco is still on the lift and there seems to be an issue getting the transmission apart. In particular, there is a gear that won't come off and the tech was concerned it would break before coming off, Ford tech support said it won't break and keep on pulling. Seems to me that if it's meant to come off it should come off and I'm concerned that the guy doing the transmission has not really done one before, I'm the guinea pig, and it might have been better to have swapped the whole unit and be done with it.
For those who have had the synchros replaced-how long did it take for the shop to get yours done? I'm 4 days into a 2 day job. I'm not 100% sure I'll have it for the weekend and if I do, when I hear that it's not going well I cringe a bit about what the completed job will be like.
Sponsored

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2023 built in April with the AB transmission and can hear quieted versions of the grinding noise people report (1300 miles). More so when I started in under 60 degrees on some mornings. The noise does go away when I push the clutch in (throw out bearing, but don't think that after what people have posted). Shifting from 1 - 2 - 3 does make some heavy mechanical clunk like noises if I attempt any type of quick shifting. Lifting off the gas, pushing the clutch in entirely, then with slight pressure into the next gear helps it slip in(like sport shifting), only giving it gas after letting off the clutch completely, can I achieve a smooth shift. I have a audible clicking or snap noise from the engine/trans area anytime I give gas, even without changing gears (let up off gas, click. Give gas, click. All while staying in gear with). Maybe it's the blow-off valve, bypass valve or solenoid of some sort, these aren't quiet engines (reminds me of a turbo diesel under accel).

I'm not overly concerned yet. It does remind me of my 2017 Mustang GT MT82. Just posting my experience with the AB transmission so far. Not complaining and enjoying it immensely so far.

Chippewa-Pin

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Fe, Tucson, Z4, T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine went in to have the affected parts replaced on Monday. Originally the plan was drop the trans on Monday, replace parts and back in and done by Tuesday. Well it's not Thursday, I stopped by to ask how things were going and find the Bronco is still on the lift and there seems to be an issue getting the transmission apart. In particular, there is a gear that won't come off and the tech was concerned it would break before coming off, Ford tech support said it won't break and keep on pulling. Seems to me that if it's meant to come off it should come off and I'm concerned that the guy doing the transmission has not really done one before, I'm the guinea pig, and it might have been better to have swapped the whole unit and be done with it.
For those who have had the synchros replaced-how long did it take for the shop to get yours done? I'm 4 days into a 2 day job. I'm not 100% sure I'll have it for the weekend and if I do, when I hear that it's not going well I cringe a bit about what the completed job will be like.
Mine took about 2-3 days of actual time to complete the TSB. They had it for about 2 weeks.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you asked the shop doing the work if this is the first trans repair they have done? Maybe the tech has done it before and the gear is actually stuck, possibly a sign of other issues
Good luck

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every gear that comes off should just slide off the shaft. None of the ones that need to be removed for this repair are pressed on. They're all just held in place with snap rings. So that alone is a little concerning.

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Incase anyone has some post TSB issues, here is mine - the trans is working well for the record

2000kms following my TSB, I lost fuel.

When the tech dropped the tank for the TSB, he unknowingly and accidentally kinked a plastic fuel line. Much like a bent straw in a drink, under the vacuum of the high pressure pump, the line eventually and inevitably collapsed.

This may only be a two door thing to look out for.

Again though, the trans is sounding good and shifting as smooth as normal.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Incase anyone has some post TSB issues, here is mine - the trans is working well for the record

2000kms following my TSB, I lost fuel.

When the tech dropped the tank for the TSB, he unknowingly and accidentally kinked a plastic fuel line. Much like a bent straw in a drink, under the vacuum of the high pressure pump, the line eventually and inevitably collapsed.

This may only be a two door thing to look out for.

Again though, the trans is sounding good and shifting as smooth as normal.
Not necessary to drop the tank to remove the trans, even on 2dr. Dunno why he would have done that, unless it was for a different reason

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know for a fact mine is "the guinea pig", but since its my 2nd one, he can take all the time he needs, and I told him I totally understand that. Unfortunately thats the downside of MTs today...they are so rare that nobody has worked on one in years, if ever. He told me he's got one tool he can't find, which apparently goes back to 2001. Its the super deep 12 point socket for the output shaft nut. He claims it was in a toolkit fit MT escape back then (which I had no idea escape ever had an MT, and I worked there then). @Ducati1098 you got any ideas? Its 308-883 or 205-175...I forget which he said was missing

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not necessary to drop the tank to remove the trans, even on 2dr. Dunno why he would have done that, unless it was for a different reason
You do need to drop the tank on a 2dr actually. Not completely out, but it does need to come down due to the tank skid plate.

I know for a fact mine is "the guinea pig", but since its my 2nd one, he can take all the time he needs, and I told him I totally understand that. Unfortunately thats the downside of MTs today...they are so rare that nobody has worked on one in years, if ever. He told me he's got one tool he can't find, which apparently goes back to 2001. Its the super deep 12 point socket for the output shaft nut. He claims it was in a toolkit fit MT escape back then (which I had no idea escape ever had an MT, and I worked there then). @Ducati1098 you got any ideas? Its 308-883 or 205-175...I forget which he said was missing
308-883 is correct for the output shaft nut. It's a huge 64mm 12 point socket. It should have been shipped in a 2021 box. Box number TKIT-2021P1-FL
As far as I can see, that's the only tool kit it has ever came in.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2023 built in April with the AB transmission and can hear quieted versions of the grinding noise people report (1300 miles). More so when I started in under 60 degrees on some mornings. The noise does go away when I push the clutch in (throw out bearing, but don't think that after what people have posted). Shifting from 1 - 2 - 3 does make some heavy mechanical clunk like noises if I attempt any type of quick shifting. Lifting off the gas, pushing the clutch in entirely, then with slight pressure into the next gear helps it slip in(like sport shifting), only giving it gas after letting off the clutch completely, can I achieve a smooth shift. I have a audible clicking or snap noise from the engine/trans area anytime I give gas, even without changing gears (let up off gas, click. Give gas, click. All while staying in gear with). Maybe it's the blow-off valve, bypass valve or solenoid of some sort, these aren't quiet engines (reminds me of a turbo diesel under accel).

I'm not overly concerned yet. It does remind me of my 2017 Mustang GT MT82. Just posting my experience with the AB transmission so far. Not complaining and enjoying it immensely so far.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You do need to drop the tank on a 2dr actually. Not completely out, but it does need to come down due to the tank skid plate.

308-883 is correct for the output shaft nut. It's a huge 64mm 12 point socket. It should have been shipped in a 2021 box. Box number TKIT-2021P1-FL
As far as I can see, that's the only tool kit it has ever came in.
Maybe he meant 205-175 which is the output shaft holder. I may have a universal tool that would work for that. He musta found a way around lowering the tank cause when I saw the other one he was pulling all the tank bolts were in (gets kinda close tho)

EDIT: I guess they found it!

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe he meant 205-175 which is the output shaft holder. I may have a universal tool that would work for that. He musta found a way around lowering the tank cause when I saw the other one he was pulling all the tank bolts were in (gets kinda close tho)
Yeah 205-175 is an older tool. This is just a splined socket and designed to hold the input shaft on the MT88.
It was used for 2001-2004 Escapes, but for disassembly of the rear axle. (although they did have manual transmissions also)

As far as the tank, if it doesn't have the fuel tank skid, it isn't required. Unfortunately due to extremely shitty design, Ford bolted the fuel tank skid to the bottom of the transmission cross member which makes it impossible to removed without dropping the tank a little.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound imagen2

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Friday comes and I get a text telling me the tech has buggered a seal so no, it's not back together. And to think they originally wanted it in the week before Bronco the Mac, which I guess we would have missed out on.
If that transmission so much as squeaks it's going back in. You know Ford, this has been a problem since the beginning. Maybe you should have looked into the product you were getting before we had to put up with this.
Sponsored