Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are correct on both accounts.

If your dealer charged you current MSRP pricing and only credited you back the $825, you should be getting additional money back in the form of retail price protection. And yes, I suspect dealers are pocketing extra cash... but to be perfectly honest I think some dealers are pocketing extra cash without even realizing it. They too are extremely confused.
My dealer was bugged that I was able to use a Z-Plan (which also cut down on his "gravy" via the doc fee). I did pay them for a PPF package since I had removed it from my factory order, and a tire hazard warranty that I knew was probably silly but felt compelled to buy anyway, so I voluntarily threw them some extra bucks I didn't have to. But I definitely want to get the full rebate amount due me from Ford. And I'm certainly not going to rely on the dealer to follow up with Ford regarding the 22.5 rebate or to voluntarily pass it along to me if/when they get it.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You are correct on both accounts.

If your dealer charged you current MSRP pricing and only credited you back the $825, you should be getting additional money back in the form of retail price protection. And yes, I suspect dealers are pocketing extra cash... but to be perfectly honest I think some dealers are pocketing extra cash without even realizing it. They too are extremely confused.

I generally trust my dealer, but out of the three sales managers at my dealer, only one of them actually fully understood how it was supposed to work.

The Smart Vincent certificate for the price protection programs I THINK comes from Ford directly—maybe @Beach_Bum knows one way or another for sure.

Retail price protection definitely should come from your dealer.
You have it right. The Smart Vincent (MY'21-->MY'22 PP) is a certificate rebate applied at the time of sale. No sale? No redemption and the certificate will expire when MY'23 comes around. I have no idea how Ford will handle late MY'22 deliveries in early MY'23 if the old cert expires but the new cert requires a MY'23 Bronco purchase. SNAFU.

The retail PP for MY'22.5 comes in the way of a credit back to the dealer when Ford confirms the purchase and cross-checks that the order qualifies for the PP. At which time, Ford will issue a credit and the dealer should issue a check to the buyer. Of course, some are applying the credit at the sale and trusting that Ford will balance the books. And on the other hand, there are some that have no idea what is going on and are pocketing the credit.

I repeated this process in my build week (3/14) thread as we were the first to get hit with the MY'22.5 increase - or at least some of us were hit with it. But as I said then, despite the confusion, we as buyers are at a disadvantage. If we balk at the sale over what amounts to a grand or more, the dealership will just sell it to another with ADM. At the end of the day, I don't see anyone walking away from the sale whether they get the PP or not.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer was bugged that I was able to use a Z-Plan (which also cut down on his "gravy" via the doc fee). I did pay them for a PPF package since I had removed it from my factory order, and a tire hazard warranty that I knew was probably silly but felt compelled to buy anyway, so I voluntarily threw them some extra bucks I didn't have to. But I definitely want to get the full rebate amount due me from Ford. And I'm certainly not going to rely on the dealer to follow up with Ford regarding the 22.5 rebate or to voluntarily pass it along to me if/when they get it.
Ah... if you have Z-Plan than the normal retail price protection doesn't apply to you.

I don't fully understand how AXZD-plan works with mid-year price increases... but based on what I've read, Instead of getting $1750 back, instead you'll get back the difference between the current Z-plan price, and whatever the Z-plan price was at the time you placed your 2022MY order. I don't know what that is, but it's probably in the $1350 - $1600 range if I were to guess.

ElSuenoBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I was definitely qualified for Price protection. Even called Ford to verify and they gave me the certificate number and the amount (I have a 2022 Wildtrak, which I reserved first day). Unfortunately, my dealer told me that the Price Protection Certificate had "expired", but the expiration date on the actual printout he showed me (and Ford verified) was listed as 12/31/22..so my question was, "how can the certificate be expired before the actual expiration date?" I thought that seemed a bit odd and the dealer told me that this was between Ford and myself. I called Ford and they said the dealer was incorrect and the certificate was not expired. So now I, the customer am trapped in the he said, she said game.
We're really talking about $825 bucks which in the near future equates to like... half a tank of gas, so I'm still pretty bummed about that aspect of the purchase and the overall experience. Current status is the Dealer is looking into it, but I'm not holding my breath as I haven't heard anything back since the actual purchase.
The dealer has been pretty legit and transparent overall, so I think this situation with Price Protection is more confusion than any nefarious intent here. Also, I love my Bronco and am thankful to have the damn thing in my driveway at this point. Hoping for some sort of resolution that is equitable.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought I was definitely qualified for Price protection. Even called Ford to verify and they gave me the certificate number and the amount (I have a 2022 Wildtrak, which I reserved first day). Unfortunately, my dealer told me that the Price Protection Certificate had "expired", but the expiration date on the actual printout he showed me (and Ford verified) was listed as 12/31/22..so my question was, "how can the certificate be expired before the actual expiration date?" I thought that seemed a bit odd and the dealer told me that this was between Ford and myself. I called Ford and they said the dealer was incorrect and the certificate was not expired. So now I, the customer am trapped in the he said, she said game.
We're really talking about $825 bucks which in the near future equates to like... half a tank of gas, so I'm still pretty bummed about that aspect of the purchase and the overall experience. Current status is the Dealer is looking into it, but I'm not holding my breath as I haven't heard anything back since the actual purchase.
The dealer has been pretty legit and transparent overall, so I think this situation with Price Protection is more confusion than any nefarious intent here. Also, I love my Bronco and am thankful to have the damn thing in my driveway at this point. Hoping for some sort of resolution that is equitable.
Sorry that happened to you and others. It's no surprise that Ford has poorly communicated this to dealers and buyers. This thread is testament to that confusion as it is a genuine effort to clear up the confusion. Yet, it was necessary as the number of different threads in the past just muddied the water. We at least are able to openly communicate and work out the confusion. Some dealers are completely in the dark.

But as I said above and in my 3/14 Build Week thread, despite the confusion, none of us are walking away from the sale. Doesn't make it right and certainly tarnishes the overall experience. My advice to others is to communicate ahead of time with the dealer so there is no surprise on purchase day. Don't let miscommunication and confusion tarnish the actual day when you get your Bronco.

Sponsored

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For one person to sue would be pricey but there’s so many waiting that I was thinking more class action lawsuit which some lawyer I’m sure could find a loophole. Those guys have sued for less of a reason.

I can barely remember what I read previous day much less what I read when I placed the order but like I said some lawyer can find a loophole. Ford did take deposit no matter the amount even though there’s no guarantee of delivery the deposit was taken in good faith for a reason.

I mean, you could but it would probably be a gigantic waste of money and time if I'm being honest.

Ford specifically says that ordering a vehicle does not guarantee a vehicle. Even for us early reservation holders... when we placed a reservation the terms and conditions (that I'm sure very few people read) specifically stated that a reservation does not guarantee a vehicle will be delivered. On top of that the consumer protections in the United States are generally very lax and lean in favor of the businesses.

BUT, I ain't a lawyer, so go for it.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 3/19/21 order for a 4-door badlands, which I changed to an Everglades on 3/8/22 - knowing I'd loose price protection. "My dealer said" that I could switch back to a badlands, if I wanted, and still get my '21 PP. Does this make sense with what you know? Obviously, getting assigned a VIN would kill my ability to switch but might consider it when I have to go in and re-order an MY23.
Yes, since you are in before the 3/19/21 early reservation cutoff date... if you switched back to Badlands you would still qualify for both 2021MY PP and 2022MY PP.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Alright... so based on my daily browsing of this forum, it is clear that the price protection system Ford has created for us is confusing both for customers and for dealers. So I'm going to attempt to help the situation and give clarity to it. Keep in mind this is intended for customers in the United States. Customers in Canada have their own program(s), but I don't know those details (apologies to our northern neighbors).

If any of this is wrong please let me know ASAP. I don't want to add to the confusion.

Generally speaking there are three price protection programs in play:
  • Retail Price Protection - This is Ford's standard price protection that applies to all Ford vehicles and is designed to protect order holders from mid-year price increases. It is based on your order date and remains valid for the remainder of the 2022 model year.
  • PGM#38406 - This program was created specifically for early reservation holders to protect the from the 2022MY Price Increases. This program is only valid for the 2022MY, but there will be an updated 2023MY program at some point in the future for those who gets pushed or are holding out until 2023.
  • PGM#38446 - This program is effectively an addendum to the PGM#38406 to protect order holders from the 2022.5MY Price Increases. This program is only valid for the 2022MY.
Exactly which of these programs you qualify for is dependent on what you had reserved, what you ordered, when you reserved/ordered, etc. etc. On the table below... Column A is the price protection money for the 2022MY price increases, and Column B is the price protection money for the 2022.5MY price increases. The colors on the program numbers above correspond to the colored boxes on the flowchart blow. Using them, you should be able to figure out exactly what you qualify for.

On the dealer's side of things... these price protection programs should appear when they pull up your order/vehicle in Smart VINCENT. If not, they can use the program numbers above and your customer number to find details on the program.

Keep in mind this is simply the protections Ford is offering to you as an order holder. However, the final selling price is ultimately between you and your dealer. Ultimately Ford cannot guarantee the final selling price of the vehicle and (generally speaking) cannot protect your from dealer markups. They can only protect you from the MSRP price increases they themselves have added through the past year or so.

View attachment 338484

View attachment 338491
If you would like more information on this... here are a few resources:
Wish my staff could flow chart this well. Thank you..

Broncobuster13

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Watching this closely, taking delivery of mine has been delayed due to a disagreement over the 22-22.5 protection.

T.S.

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for posting... FML 3/23 reservation :cry:

Sponsored

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exception: if your order was placed under someone else’s reservation, you don’t qualify for any price protection, 22-22 increase, or 22.5 MY increase.

grenjith7

Badlands
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is correct.

It’s dealer preference. I will say that most dealers will give you the retail protected price up front and eat the extra cost until Ford reimburses them when they get their pricing statements, holdbacks, etc. I’ve actually never dealt with a dealer that doesn’t do retail price protection this way—as it is easier than having to track sold vehicles, track customers that need reimbursement, answering emails/phone calls from annoyed customers asking where their check is, actually sending out checks, etc.

But… there are thousands of dealerships and I’ve only directly dealt with maybe a dozen of them.

Edit: In order for Ford to reimburse the dealer for mid-year price protection the vehicle needs to be verified as sold to the original order holder. My guess is the dealer get screwed over in the past for some reason (probably a mistake on their end) so they have a new policy to only provide reimbursements after they get approval from Ford.
I talked to dealer guy again and he changed the song. now, he agreed that check is given to dealership and dealership in turn will send to me. Wont agree in writing (i.e. issuing me a check). He is saying he dont know, if Ford will reimburse or not. So i take the risk, not them. I think i am in for a big stupid fight.

Called up ford customer service, they said talk to General Manager or Owner. frustrating to deal.

Broncobuster13

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I talked to dealer guy again and he changed the song. now, he agreed that check is given to dealership and dealership in turn will send to me. Wont agree in writing (i.e. issuing me a check). He is saying he dont know, if Ford will reimburse or not. So i take the risk, not them. I think i am in for a big stupid fight.

Called up ford customer service, they said talk to General Manager or Owner. frustrating to deal.
I’m getting the same thing. Not sure why it’s so hard to get a price honored from almost a year ago.

ademonhunter

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I brought up the price protection. I literally wound up calling Fords help line while I was sitting with my salesperson at the dealership and that’s how I wound up getting the $825. It was more like Frodos journey to Mordor to get it but I’ll spare the details…Happy that I finally have my Badlands!!

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think we need another flow chart showing how to get these discounts actually applied. That's more confusing to me than what the amount is supposed to be.

Ford will probably dish out the MY23 PP in a totally new and confusing way too. Here's your orienteering map; when you find the cache the safe combination will be the first two digits of your MY22 PP reversed, the number of days you waited minus 700, and the current count of blown 2.7L engines on B6G. The rebate will be in the form of seven Target gift cards, redeemable in Rhode Island only. Good luck.
Sponsored