Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The paint marks on the tie rod. Green line doesn't line up and looks like it was crossed out with a pink marker. I would guess the green line was the factory marking when the alignment was originally done and another alignment done after. I could be wrong, maybe someone with factory knowledge knows how this works. The bent tie rod is interesting too. Maybe it was bent before, under stress, and finally just gave up the ghost.
Lol none of the paint marks on my Badlands lined up when I picked mine up. Checked everything torque myself and had the alignment checked and it was in spec, but I would not trust the factory paint marks at all. IDK what happened when they built mine, but I would not surprise if it was common.

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These trucks have a very tight turning radius. Turn the steering wheel to full lock and put some pressure on it might just snap it.

We’re you at full lock?
Great feature! A design that snaps tie rods by turning the steering wheel? If only they had a smaller natural turning circle augmented by some sort of “driveway turn assist”.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco, which has never been out of my possession, has the pink marks also. They were on it from the factory.
Mine was delivered with pink and yellow paint lines side by side, like an initial mark and a recheck.

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is a great response. NC State is a great engineering school so maybe I’ll ask some friends that go there? I agree with the problem in material I think you’re right!
I’m sure they’d love to check it out as a real world practical analyze and learn project. Let us know what they say!

I’d also raise holy hell with Ford over the safety risk. Your situation is much different that the average trail failure.

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not saying it should have snapped, but turning the wheels against concrete that is creating a wedge between your tires without forward or backwards motion is not a good idea.
things can break
you're probably not the first to do that, so I think there was an existing issue.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 1659655394415

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just looked at my 2021 ranger tremor to see if it has paint lines. It has yellow lines on the tie rod ends. The line is a little off from the jam nut to the ball end but clearly this must be yellow lined during factory assembly and then there is a front end alignment because i can see the wrench marks and pipe wrench jaw marks on the rod. I bought this new and it's been in my possession since delivery to the dealer. They didn't touch any of this.
The rangers roll of the same line so i would assume they use mostly the same process.
Sorry this happened to you.

ScumbagTakumi

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AE86 Corolla (S2K SWAP), 08 Acura MDX AKA THE GOAT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was delivered with pink and yellow paint lines side by side, like an initial mark and a recheck.
Definitely something up with lock nut torque because mine is way off like it was checked and then tightened down more, where other people like you and the OP have. Wonder if it was set wrong at the factory, needed to be torqued further at the dealer, and they gave the little guys a bit too much sauce. Especially since it looked like it sheared right at the nut.

Image from iOS (6).jpg

gleslie76

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] Image from iOS (6)

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] Image from iOS (6)

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
Glad it was in driveway, not highway....

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe some of the tie rods were made by the same company that made the 2.7 valves
Dammit, you beat me to it!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hard to tell from the pic but the different color at the snap could indicate something. The dark area could be where it was cracked for a while and the lighter color is the fresh break. Again, hard to tell from just a picture. Sorry about the messy arrows but you get the point😁

Screenshot_20220804-192908.png

Canadian5.0

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Always been a ford truck purchaser , have had many f150’s , F350’s and a bronco all brand new .All have been very good quality and dependable, no issues with stupid little things that you’d expect wouldn’t get passed the development , inspection , and off for delivery stage .It seems ford really rushed this bronco and have dropped the ball in many areas of it .My 2013 f150 is still like new with 0 issues so no need for a new truck or SUV 4x4 anytime soon but unless ford gets their shit together on this bronco in the coming years it’ll be a phev tacoma or four runner for next purchase .

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] Screenshot_20220804-192908

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] Screenshot_20220804-192908

More info/answer:

Sorry, that sucks, what trim do you have? 33" tires are only on the Badlands with yellow Bilstein shocks.

Did you or the dealer upgrade to 33" tires? Did they test drive and do and alignment? What size wheels are you running, stock for your trim or upgrades?

@TeocaliMG can you give us any insight from a Ford suspension engineer's perspective?
Sponsored