Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't believe that this 'thought' pattern is still floating around here after so many threads about it. 🤦‍♂️I have been on this forum since the Bronco was revealed and have yet to see a single person ask for that kind of capability. Go ahead and actually read the towing section and find one. I'll be here waiting to apologize. Hint hint.

Now do you realize that pretty much every small hardsided travel trailer weighs a little over 3500lbs? Are you seriously telling me that you don't think a 4-door non-Sasquatched BB or OBX is capable of towing most R-Pods? That kind of Bronco is not going to see much "off-road use" if it can't even get to the campsite.
I’m sorry but if you’re looking to tow more than a boat or an ATV with the Bronco? Somethings wrong with you. It’s not made to tow. A towing package is fine for light. Just cause it tows 5k lbs doesn’t mean you pull a 22ft camper. That’s just stupid. Again wrong tool for the job. The Bronco is made to go rock climbing mudding ect. It’s a 4x4 trail toy. Now excuse me while I pull my tear drop camper with my Honda Civic 🤣🤣🤣

you plan on hauling a 22footer up a hill to the camp site? Lol
Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’re an absolute idiot to try and tow with a SAS because of 35” tires. However SAS suspension is beefier than non SAS which is where tow cap is greater. Common sense. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m sorry but if you’re looking to tow more than a boat or an ATV with the Bronco? Somethings wrong with you. It’s not made to tow. A towing package is fine for light. Just cause it tows 5k lbs doesn’t mean you pull a 22ft camper. That’s just stupid. Again wrong tool for the job. The Bronco is made to go rock climbing mudding ect. It’s a 4x4 trail toy. Now excuse me while I pull my tear drop camper with my Honda Civic 🤣🤣🤣
"A towing package is fine for light" - your sentence must've been cut off, this doesn't make sense.

"Just cause it tows 5k lbs doesn’t mean you pull a 22ft camper." - if the camper and your cargo combine to under GVWR and GCWR, you haven't exceeded any frontal area limitations, and you are set up with brakes and a WDH, then yes that is exactly what it means!

"The Bronco is made to go rock climbing mudding ect. It’s a 4x4 trail toy." - Within a few years it will be the minority of Bronco owners who actually go rock climbing in theirs, and not every Bronco is even well set up for it. Heard of the BB and OBX?

Edit: I missed the 22ft trailer part the first time - not sure what happened. Once we downsize we'll probably be a little under that, likely around the 20' mark. Was there a serious question related to this?

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re an absolute idiot to try and tow with a SAS because of 35” tires. However SAS suspension is beefier than non SAS which is where tow cap is greater. Common sense. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I'm sorry. You made my point tho.... And kinda contradicted yourself at the same time... You said SAS would tow better. SAS has 35" tires. Every one of them. But then you say your an idiot if you tow with SAS tires.... After saying towing has nothing to do with tires. Soooo.... Which is it..🤦‍♂️ lol Or you could just get the BL with 33 like me and not worry about it. Exact same suspension, minus a 10mm bumpstop spacer...

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What do you plan on towing with it? Normally people tow a jeep BEHIND something. Not tow something behind the jeep.

and the SAS WILL tow more than a nonSAS due to its suspension. Beefier suspension adds to tow capacity. Not less.
Stiffer suspension makes more tow capacity, is the sas stiffer than the normal suspension? Cause stiffer is counter-intuitive to the offroad capability sas is spose to enhance. Sas also adds more lift, a higher center of gravity isn't as good for towing. Sas is spose to be better for rock crawling and such, which likely means not stiffer. Thats where my assumption about the standard suspension being better for towing comes from. Either way, the point is theres different suspensions, as well as gearing and tires and wheelbases, all of which would have different capacity limits, so there could very well be a Bronco setup that already is more than capable of 5-6k towing, that's the issue with having all across the board the same tow cap. Plus, whats one more suspension option in a tow package?

As for what I tow, personally I have a small toy hauler(conventional pull not fifth wheel). I have 4 motorcycles, and go camping a few times a year, almost always taking one of my bikes(not all 4 at once). My current one I don't expect the bronco to ever pull(but still nowhere near f250 territory, it's at most 7k loaded, last gen bronco can pull it fine btw), but there's more than one smaller ones on the market that would work for me, but I'd still need 5-6k tow cap for. If no tow increase on the Bronco, my next tow vehicle will likely be an SUV, Yukon or Durango SRT being my current top picks, so still not a truck(and both in the 8-9k range for tow caps). I have no plans to ever get something big enough to pull a bronco, camper, and motorcycles, so bronco will get left at home. Hence, no care about the offroad capability if it can't tow at least 5k.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Stiffer suspension makes more tow capacity, is the sas stiffer than the normal suspension? Cause stiffer is counter-intuitive to the offroad capability sas is spose to enhance. Sas also adds more lift, a higher center of gravity isn't as good for towing. Sas is spose to be better for rock crawling and such, which likely means not stiffer. Thats where my assumption about the standard suspension being better for towing comes from.
Yeah but it's like beefier you know? Like how the Gladiator Rubicon and Mojave suspensions are beefier than the Sport's. Oh wait...

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sorry. You made my point tho.... And kinda contradicted yourself at the same time... You said SAS would tow better. SAS has 35" tires. Every one of them. But then you say your an idiot if you tow with SAS tires.... After saying towing has nothing to do with tires. Soooo.... Which is it..🤦‍♂️ lol Or you could just get the BL with 33 like me and not worry about it. Exact same suspension, minus a 10mm bumpstop spacer...
Because it was asked how can SAS have higher tow cap than lower tier Bronc. It’s suspension. All day everyday. Tires don’t have anything to do with it. You don’t tow with those tires. Just as you don’t tow with a Bronco. It’s dumb. It’s like a attaching a 120cc engine to a bicycle. You can do it. Doesn’t mean you should. You’re probably right and SAS suspension is same as stock BL? We don’t know for sure do we?

regardless? Less than 5% will ever tow a thing with a Bronco and less than 15% will ever go rock climbing and mudding. I can say this with 100% certainty

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would guess an sas. Bronco will be a slightly worse tow vehicle than a non-sas. Bronco. The sas. larger and heavier tires will make a Bronco accelerate, brake, and corner worse than a non-sas. Bronco when not towing, and will also make towing a bit more challenging. One of the reasons I'm not interested in the sas. package, also one of the reasons I'm waiting to hear owner's towing reports before I decide whether to buy a Bronco.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the camp that believes it's entirely hitch limited. Every single variation has the same tow rating with no difference for the longer wheelbase of the 4 door, base vs sasquatch suspension, tire diameter, or anything else. The ranger tremor that has the fox shocks and off road suspension tweaks maintains it's 7500lb tow capacity so I'm not buying that argument. There is no reason the bronco can't hit a 5-6k tow capacity.

They equipped the bronco with a class II hitch which has a 3500lb limit. I don't think there is anymore to it than that. I think this was done for better departure angles at launch or because they hadn't tested it at higher capacities yet. I'm betting a proper tow package with a class III or IV receiver will be added during a later model year.
I've been second-guessing getting the factory tow package, which is usually a good deal from Ford. But, it may make more sense to get a Class III on my own. If Ford did offer a Class III later with no other changes, I will have artificially limited myself. Also, if others report good results going a little over 3,500, I wouldn't have an option with the Class II. I wouldn't need to tow >3,500 very far--maybe 10 miles each way. But the catch is it would be the 2-door.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And whos asked for 40ft trailer towing power and 20,000lb tow capacity from the bronco?? Nobody. Theres a vast difference from the minivan tow cap the bronco gets to that of an f250. Nobodys asking to more than quadruple the broncos tow cap.

But if a 2dr squatch on 35s can tow 3500lbs, then why wouldn't a much longer 4dr non squatch on smaller wheels be able to tow a bit more? You're adding 16in of wheelbase stability, having a less offroad oriented suspension, and less sidewall to flex when towing. Not to mention it really wouldn't be difficult or crazy for ford to make an actual tow package, a simple button click for those that want it that has no effect on your precious offroad capbility if you don't want it, just like the sasquatch package enhancing the offroad capability for those that want it. Change the suspension, wheels, gearing, a lot of what sasquatch already changes, but for more towing stability instead.

Frankly, without a decent towing capacity, my bronco will never go anywhere that it could be used off road, so without it I don't care what offroad capability it has, it'll just be a daily driver or mall crawler. I'm fine with that. Means I'm not getting a bronco for a few years(and will be a lot cheaper build), but I'll still get one. If it had a 1500-2500lb towing increase I'd be ordering one right now, and then it would actually get some offroad use. And no I'm not getting an f250 to tow anything, don't need anywhere near that towing capacity.
Yeah, I thought it was weird that the Bronco can't tow any more than our Escape.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Now excuse me while I pull my tear drop camper with my Honda Civic 🤣🤣🤣
What I find particularly funny about this comment is that in other countries the Civic has a max tow cap(depending on year/engine) almost equal to the broncos 3500lbs(highest was like 1500kg which is about 3300lbs). It's not at all uncommon to see sedans towing 3000+lb campers in other coutries. Course they have different rules about towing and different mentality toward it overall, like having a legal speed limit of 50mph while towing, and camper trailers are setup for much lower tongue weights, and the fact that big non commercial trucks aren't even sold there(for instance, in the UK only truck ford sells is the ranger, no f150s or larger).

It’s like a attaching a 120cc engine to a bicycle. You can do it. Doesn’t mean you should.
100% would and have done this. Ok haven't done a 120cc exactly, but done 80cc and have had 200cc minibikes and would for sure do a 120cc bicycle. And 100% recommend it. It's def something you should do, and if nobody ever did stuff exactly like this then we wouldn't have motorcycles today, they literally started as someone strapping an engine to a bicycle.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stiffer suspension makes more tow capacity, is the sas stiffer than the normal suspension? Cause stiffer is counter-intuitive to the offroad capability sas is spose to enhance. Sas also adds more lift, a higher center of gravity isn't as good for towing. Sas is spose to be better for rock crawling and such, which likely means not stiffer. Thats where my assumption about the standard suspension being better for towing comes from. Either way, the point is theres different suspensions, as well as gearing and tires and wheelbases, all of which would have different capacity limits, so there could very well be a Bronco setup that already is more than capable of 5-6k towing, that's the issue with having all across the board the same tow cap. Plus, whats one more suspension option in a tow package?

As for what I tow, personally I have a small toy hauler(conventional pull not fifth wheel). I have 4 motorcycles, and go camping a few times a year, almost always taking one of my bikes(not all 4 at once). My current one I don't expect the bronco to ever pull(but still nowhere near f250 territory, it's at most 7k loaded, last gen bronco can pull it fine btw), but there's more than one smaller ones on the market that would work for me, but I'd still need 5-6k tow cap for. If no tow increase on the Bronco, my next tow vehicle will likely be an SUV, Yukon or Durango SRT being my current top picks, so still not a truck(and both in the 8-9k range for tow caps). I have no plans to ever get something big enough to pull a bronco, camper, and motorcycles, so bronco will get left at home. Hence, no care about the offroad capability if it can't tow at least 5k.
Last gen bronco....full size v8....yukon, tahoe, Durango SRT v8s....

I'm willing to bet 80% of those that buy a Bronco wont pull shit with it much less go mudding in it and MUCH LESS rock climb in it. How many jeeps out there doing all the above? a fraction of whats sold. Why? Because they cost too damn much and its a status symbol in america to own something that looks good. Out of all the 9sec Dodge Demons sold, how many have been consistently tracked? All the 2014/2015 capable Z28 Camaros, how many are tracked?

Most ppl who spend $50k on a vehicle arent going bogging the swamp. Say what you will? I know better. Bunch of ppl here will toughguy it over the net how theyre going to submerge their bronco in 8ft deep of mud, while slapping 6ft monster truck tires and snorkels climbing 90 degree rock cliffs ect is full of shit....Most will simply joy ride the black top.

See all those "Bronco wave threads?" You aint waving if your off road now are you?

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I find particularly funny about this comment is that in other countries the Civic has a max tow cap(depending on year/engine) almost equal to the broncos 3500lbs(highest was like 1500kg which is about 3300lbs). It's not at all uncommon to see sedans towing 3000+lb campers in other coutries. Course they have different rules about towing and different mentality toward it overall, like having a legal speed limit of 50mph while towing, and camper trailers are setup for much lower tongue weights, and the fact that big non commercial trucks aren't even sold there(for instance, in the UK only truck ford sells is the ranger, no f150s or larger).

100% would and have done this. Ok haven't done a 120cc exactly, but done 80cc and have had 200cc minibikes and would for sure do a 120cc bicycle. And 100% recommend it. It's def something you should do, and if nobody ever did stuff exactly like this then we wouldn't have motorcycles today, they literally started as someone strapping an engine to a bicycle.
Yea 1930s are whenever Harley and Indian ect started making motorbikes? There were no where near the safety regs you have now a days. SO redneckk or in your case cookie neck motorbikes all day long! But an engineer today will NEVER engineer a otorcycle engine on a BICYCLE LOL. You know what Im talking about and Civic tow cap is 1000lbs.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Last gen bronco....full size v8....yukon, tahoe, Durango SRT v8s....

I'm willing to bet 80% of those that buy a Bronco wont pull shit with it much less go mudding in it and MUCH LESS rock climb in it. How many jeeps out there doing all the above? a fraction of whats sold. Why? Because they cost too damn much and its a status symbol in america to own something that looks good. Out of all the 9sec Dodge Demons sold, how many have been consistently tracked? All the 2014/2015 capable Z28 Camaros, how many are tracked?

Most ppl who spend $50k on a vehicle arent going bogging the swamp. Say what you will? I know better. Bunch of ppl here will toughguy it over the net how theyre going to submerge their bronco in 8ft deep of mud, while slapping 6ft monster truck tires and snorkels climbing 90 degree rock cliffs ect is full of shit....Most will simply joy ride the black top.

See all those "Bronco wave threads?" You aint waving if your off road now are you?
Last gens full size V8 had same or less hp and tq than new broncos engines... not to mention the ranger and f150 both use the current engines to tow 7k and 9k, so its 100% not the engine, that has absolutely nothing to do with the broncos low tow rating and wasn't at all the point I was making. And I never said there would be a lot of people towing or mudding or rock crawling. 90% of any vehicle will just be driven to work and back, and go get groceries and run errands. Bet 90% of all f250 owners never or rarely ever tow anything either. Whats that got to do with anything? When there are hundreds of thousands of one model built, you're never going to get a high percentage of people doing anything but sitting in traffic. Heck, even 5% will likely be tens of thousands of people. Some vehicle models don't even get that many made total(like the z28 you mentioned, only a few thousand built total).

Yea 1930s are whenever Harley and Indian ect started making motorbikes? There were no where near the safety regs you have now a days. SO redneckk or in your case cookie neck motorbikes all day long! But an engineer today will NEVER engineer a otorcycle engine on a BICYCLE LOL. You know what Im talking about and Civic tow cap is 1000lbs.
earlier than that when the first motorcycles started being built, Indian founded 1901, Harley 1903, but thats hardly the point. There are still companies selling and engineers making motorcycles or mopeds that are little more than a slightly beefed up bicycle. New e-bikes have more power than early day motorcycles. Heck, right off the top of my head look up Motoped, its literally a brand new version of almost exactly what you described, little more than a bicycle with an engine strapped to it, even has pedals still. And the civic tow cap, as I mentioned, is for other countries not the US and varies depending on year and engine. I don't know about the brand new ones, but as little as 3yrs ago there was a version in the UK with the exact rating I gave(1500kg, 3300lbs)

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow, got pretty toxic in here.

Just because one doesn't want to haul more than an ATV or boat doesn't mean that fits someone else. I personally would prefer the rating to be 5k similar to other vehicles with a similar size and use like the FJCruiser and 4Runner. I'm still buying it but will grumble a bit when I run into the weight limit. No I don't tow an ATV or a boat. Occasionally I pull a trailer with other things on it that can go up to 4K or a little over. I'll make due.

The 4-door Bronco is an off road vehicle, but being an off road vehicle doesn't mean that it is a one trick pony. I've had properly engineered off road capable vehicles that can tow and haul quite a bit of weight. It didn't take away from their ability on the trail.
Sponsored