Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad I got the 8 year 100,000 warranty. $1,600 is seeming pretty damn cheap right about now. Don't have any noise yet sitting at 10,000 miles, but it sounds mostly like when not if.
Sponsored

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Talked to the service guys at my dealer today. Was told that the TSB was updated to include more parts and the synchro specifically has a superceded part number. Anyone able to confirm or heard similar?
That is false. I just logged in and there is no superseded bulletin and all of the parts list is the same with the same numbers. You've been lied to lol

a_Panda

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2020 XC60, 1978 124 Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is false. I just logged in and there is no superseded bulletin and all of the parts list is the same with the same numbers. You've been lied to lol
Kinda what I expected and exactly why I asked here. Thanks dude.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hate to say this, but is it possible the "fix" is basically - figure some owners will not notice, and for those who do notice, install some "new same" parts, to kind of kick the can down the road, until drivetrain warranty is over? Hope that doesn't happen, but probably some actuary is on it weighing the cost benefit.

Sponsored

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hate to say this, but is it possible the "fix" is basically - figure some owners will not notice, and for those who do notice, install some "new same" parts, to kind of kick the can down the road, until drivetrain warranty is over? Hope that doesn't happen, but probably some actuary is on it weighing the cost benefit.
I dont see how when the concern returns so quickly. If this bought maybe 25k miles until return, I would say maybe. But this comes back inside of a week. That's hardly even a fix.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I dont see how when the concern returns so quickly. If this bought maybe 25k miles until return, I would say maybe. But this comes back inside of a week. That's hardly even a fix.
Well in these situations, the actuaries sit down and run the numbers.

Given the trans issue is not a straight up safety concern, isn't (for now) causing a failure to operate, is not experienced by all users (depending on climate), and even then maybe not noticed by all users ... a decision is made:
1) Research, build and test a fix, and implement inside (or replace) all transmissions.
2) Replace worn parts with same, only for customers who complain enough about the issue, to at least prevent failure during warranty period.

Which approach is the least costly? Arguably approach 2.

Anyway, it's disappointing if this issue really is widespread in all manual transmissions. Hopefully it is not. I would not like to hear the stirring/growl when picking of a brand new vehicle. :( I guess we'll see what happens.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the video - this is the first time I was able to hear the sound. Ugh. I thought maybe it was just a loud trans and so no big deal, but I don't want to be hearing that stirring/scraping noise, or thinking about what it might mean down the road out of warranty whenever I start up the vehicle in the cold.

I'm buying new NOT to have issues. Or worst case if there is an issue, a solid fix. Trans is a major component not some lux extra on the fritz. WTH? I would have gone V6/auto had I known about this situation. :(
Yeah it's not great, but important to note no one has had transmission failure due to this issue. So there is time for Ford and the engineers at Getrag/Magna to figure it out and get us the fix we need.

It's a new vehicle with a new transmission, so it kind of comes with the territory.

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.
Some additions to this post from yesterday. I woke up early this morning (stupid cat) and it was well below freezing last night so I had ample time to fuss around with this.

I can definitely hear the noise in Crawler, 1st, and 2nd gear. I think it also occurs in 3rd gear, but by then the road noise makes it very difficult to hear the transmission.

Some other things I noticed:
  • Shifting into 2nd gear is a definitely more difficult when cold. It isn't so difficult that it seems like something is wrong, it's just noticeably more difficult than the other gears.
  • I've had it pop out of crawler gear before when the transmission was cold. This could easily be operator error on my part, but I'd be curious to know if other people have ran into this problem.

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have screenshots of 2 people confirming TSB was performed and parts replaced from inside

Post in thread 'Is your 7MT manual transmission making grinding / scraping noise too? Video and all resources for rotational scraping noise in the 7MT's.' https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...scraping-noise-in-the-7mts.63324/post-1780233
Again, this doesn’t really show anything. Some people still think and want the transmission swapped and think that’s part of the TSB. I’m still waiting for my dealer to call me back saying the parts are in, but I’ll try to post actual details and not a random screenshot.

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Again, this doesn’t really show anything. Some people still think and want the transmission swapped and think that’s part of the TSB. I’m still waiting for my dealer to call me back saying the parts are in, but I’ll try to post actual details and not a random screenshot.
This actually says it all. Not to mention I know fellow techs have done the TSB and the vehicles are back. Cold hard facts. The TSB was completed as outlined and the noise was not fixed. What more do you need? Copy of workorder?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Plenty of reports of the TSB not solving anything. We have done the TSB twice at my dealer, both back making the same noise. Nothing has been changed. The TSB parts are identical to the failed parts. The transmissions being replaced are also the exact same and still have the same faulty parts in them.

TSB, transmission replacement, it’s all a waste of time until Ford figures out the issue and releases an actual fix.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah it's not great, but important to note no one has had transmission failure due to this issue. So there is time for Ford and the engineers at Getrag/Magna to figure it out and get us the fix we need.

It's a new vehicle with a new transmission, so it kind of comes with the territory.

Some additions to this post from yesterday. I woke up early this morning (stupid cat) and it was well below freezing last night so I had ample time to fuss around with this.

I can definitely hear the noise in Crawler, 1st, and 2nd gear. I think it also occurs in 3rd gear, but by then the road noise makes it very difficult to hear the transmission.

• Shifting into 2nd gear is a definitely more difficult when cold. It isn't so difficult that it seems like something is wrong, it's just noticeably more difficult than the other gears.
  • I've had it pop out of crawler gear before when the transmission was cold. This could easily be operator error on my part, but I'd be curious to know if other people have ran into this problem.

For me, shifting into 2nd & 3rd when cold always takes a bit extra time for the synchros to do their thing. If I rush the shift, I sometimes get that double-click type shift feel.

As far as the crawler popping out, I haven't personally noticed that. But there have been a few times where I accidentally don't place the shifter fully in the C-gear gate, which resulted in a slight grinding noise when moving. Happened early on, but it's been a good 8k miles since that's happened. I shift into C->Neutral-> back into C to prevent this from happening.

EVH1994

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same noise. They replaced the throwout bearing first and that did nothing to resolve the issue, so they replaced my transmission.
Update: the noise is back and it’s especially loud with the cold weather. Pretty lame since I went through the trouble of getting a new transmission approved and installed. I’ll wait to bring it back until there is an actual fix.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had it pop a few times but figured it was just a screwup by me.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the video - this is the first time I was able to hear the sound. Ugh. I thought maybe it was just a loud trans and so no big deal, but I don't want to be hearing that stirring/scraping noise, or thinking about what it might mean down the road out of warranty whenever I start up the vehicle in the cold.

I'm buying new NOT to have issues. Or worst case if there is an issue, a solid fix. Trans is a major component not some lux extra on the fritz. WTH? I would have gone V6/auto had I known about this situation. :(
My thought exactly. I picked the 2.3 for 7MT. Would have been safer picking a 2.7 auto even with the value drop scenario surround on those early on.
Sponsored