First Name
Lizeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
😳 What year model do you have? I’m year 22’ and haven’t had any recall notices or any other issues. *crossing fingers* I’m sorry to hear you’re having so many problems with what’s supposed to be a fun and exciting time with your Bronco!
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I fully believe that bend in the outer TRE is not doing us any favors. I had really hoped to find a straight one that worked with the F150 inners and that combo would have added tons of strength.
The broken rod in this thread is the inner, you could have made the outer section from titanium or unobtantium and it would not have prevented the mild steel threaded rod from snapping

Other tie rods certainly have broken in the outer forged section but not the one here

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

well the babe is back home!!! Huge thanks to huntersville ford in Charlotte and an even bigger thanks to @bltfrdtgh who is the best service manager ever :)

anyone in the Charlotte area should go to huntersville, 100/10 experience!!

CF8C95A5-C066-41D1-808C-D8EE62F9CCF6.jpeg

Thank you for all the input everyone!!

Everyone on this forum is amazing and I’ve realized just how nice y’all are!! First thing I’m doing is ordering some braces. :ROFLMAO:

Fingers crossed this was just a wrong place wrong time scenario and I still am in love with my bronco!!

y’all are the best forum ever and if anyone is in the Charlotte area I hope to see you at cars and coffee tomorrow!!
yep they had everything!! My original dealer said 2 weeks but huntersville is just cool like that :cool: I’m super lucky!!

and yes it was all covered!!
Congratulations again on getting the issue resolved and covered under warranty. (y)

You should consider updating the opening post to document the successful resolution. I realize that the moderators have updated the thread title, but many members only read opening posts and then immediately comment without trudging through lengthy threads.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The broken rod in this thread is the inner, you could have made the outer section from titanium or unobtantium and it would not have prevented the mild steel threaded rod from snapping

Other tie rods certainly have broken in the outer forged section but not the one here
You are missing the fact that the curved design of the outer puts a side load on the inner. A straight outer would transfer force straight into the inner where it's stronger. This is easy stuff that Jeepers figured out decades ago when they tried to run Z bar drag links.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All, the tie rod issue isn’t an issue, they ran these vehicles through all kinds of testing and weren’t snapping tie rods. I have not heard of one tie rod snapping at an off rodeo and the only place I have seen broken tie rods is people doing stupid things or not correctly modifying everything on their vehicles when they do an upgrade. I have taken my truck through some pretty hairy situations so far and have not once worried about snapping a tie rod. With that being said if you are going to rock crawl or do serious off roading there is a chance of breaking one. I cringe when I see people jumping these things or “sending it” because that was never in the design spec, and before all the flaming start if you want to really jump one then but a Bronco DR.

Sponsored

chaseshort24

Black Diamond
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4runner, 1995 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The stock tie rods (and steering box) are major weak points on the Bronco. Actually I don't know why Ford hasn't already reengineered those on '22 and '23 models. They did for the BRaptor. It sounds like yours were weaker than normal. Something could have happened in MFG, transit or at the dealer and no one would have known until it broke.

The first upgrade I did, because I off road, was install the Fab Tech tie rods and put the BroncBuster bushing in the steering rack. Those tie rods are MUCH stronger than stock. I have already taken them off roading in Ouray and no problems.
There is nothing tough enough in Ouray to challenge a rig enough to break tie rods. No wheel speed obstacles, nothing where a front locker is needed etc.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I’ve read it’s mostly occurring off-road. i can understand the tie rods snapping under extreme stress but this is just crazy. Thankfully this case is the only one I’ve heard of so hopefully it’s just a fluke!
It really shouldn’t be happening off road though either. Some people are snapping them and there’s not a lot of stress being put on them when they snap. It really does need to be addressed. Honestly, I went to Colorado and did some of the big name trails up there and I was literally scared the whole time I’d break one and have to pay to have it fixed, figure out a way home and back them home, etc etc etc.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

All, the tie rod issue isn’t an issue, they ran these vehicles through all kinds of testing and weren’t snapping tie rods. I have not heard of one tie rod snapping at an off rodeo and the only place I have seen broken tie rods is people doing stupid things or not correctly modifying everything on their vehicles when they do an upgrade. I have taken my truck through some pretty hairy situations so far and have not once worried about snapping a tie rod. With that being said if you are going to rock crawl or do serious off roading there is a chance of breaking one. I cringe when I see people jumping these things or “sending it” because that was never in the design spec, and before all the flaming start if you want to really jump one then but a Bronco DR.
Even so, I CRINGE everytime the front tire rubs on a curb at the local parking lot, 😂. They are not even strong enough for stock tires , and seriously too weak for oversized tires!

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

😳 What year model do you have? I’m year 22’ and haven’t had any recall notices or any other issues. *crossing fingers* I’m sorry to hear you’re having so many problems with what’s supposed to be a fun and exciting time with your Bronco!
im a 22 as well! I haven’t had any problems except for this (and the recalls of course but I don’t consider that a problem). It’s still an amazing vehicle that ford did a great job with it’s just unfortunate that this happened!! Hopefully you’re enjoying yours!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Congratulations again on getting the issue resolved and covered under warranty. (y)

You should consider updating the opening post to document the successful resolution. I realize that the moderators have updated the thread title, but many members only read opening posts and then immediately comment without trudging through lengthy threads.
okay I’ll fix it!

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HOSS 2.5? I'll just call it that because this won't involve a rack.

Finally got the inners and outers I believe are HOSS 3.0, aka " ADRENALIN PACKAGE, WITH ROUGH ROAD SUSPENSION". Inners are NB3Z-3280-C outers are NB3Z-3A130-B (RH) and NB3Z-3A130-C (LH). The inners didn't come with a jamb nut which apparently is only serviced with the rack.

Moral of the story, Phil might be getting HOSS 2.5 TREs on his BL when it comes in at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, taper and threads on the outer joints are the same and the inner that screws into the rack is the same thread as the stock ones.

Stock outer on the bottom
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.51

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.52

Stock assembly on top.
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.53

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you think Ford would tell us all the issues they had in testing? Wonder why an upgraded steering rack and tie rods was listed as a Ford Performance part for the Bronco before the Bronco ever started shipping?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
HOSS 2.5? I'll just call it that because this won't involve a rack.

Finally got the inners and outers I believe are HOSS 3.0, aka " ADRENALIN PACKAGE, WITH ROUGH ROAD SUSPENSION". Inners are NB3Z-3280-C outers are NB3Z-3A130-B (RH) and NB3Z-3A130-C (LH). The inners didn't come with a jamb nut which apparently is only serviced with the rack.

Moral of the story, Phil might be getting HOSS 2.5 TREs on his BL when it comes in at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, taper and threads on the outer joints are the same and the inner that screws into the rack is the same thread as the stock ones.

Stock outer on the bottom
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.53

Stock assembly on top.
As an accountant, I wonder what could be the cost difference between these parts to choose not to include them in all the builds instead of making them an option, especially after the $2k increase for 2022...
I studied the Ford Pinto case in my business ethics class in college, this feels very similar.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As an accountant, I wonder what could be the cost difference between these parts to choose not to include them in all the builds instead of making them an option, especially after the $2k increase for 2022...
I studied the Ford Pinto case in my business ethics class in college, this feels very similar.
I don't think they have a major design issue with the stock rods considering they aren't failing in large numbers from strictly on-road use. Lots of arguments to be made that the Bronco was designed to go off-road but there are still limitations on use. They put heavier rods on, how many more people will feel comfortable installing larger tires that put more stress on the rack and assist motor? How many more will attempt obstacles they shouldn't or don't have the experience to navigate them? Maybe this is why the outer has Ford Performance cast into the part and not like a "stock" item.

I agree with you that going forward, anything SAS or BL and WT should have the updated components. BL and WT especially have more off-road specific stuff and are likely the models people wanting to do serious stuff are buying for that purpose. Cost is probably minimal but there may be more things that need to be upgraded in the steering system if they do this across other models. Probably see more mass adoption when they do a refresh in a couple of years or at least offer it as an option.
Sponsored